Do you have an unlimited data plan? If so, we have information to help you manage your account if you use more than 3GB, which means you are in the top 5% of data users in our network. If you have a 4G LTE Smartphone with monthly data usage over 5GB, you'll also be interested in this information. You can check your usage for this month by dialing *data# on your mobile phone.
If you have one of our tiered data plans, this information will not affect you.
Background: In response to soaring mobile broadband usage and the limited availability of wireless spectrum, we implemented a network management program back in 2011 to help ensure the best possible mobile broadband experience for all of our customers.
If you have a smartphone that works on our 3G or 4G network and still have an unlimited data plan,
- You'll receive a text message when your usage approaches 3GB in one billing cycle.
- Each time you use 3GB or more in a billing cycle, your data speeds will be reduced for the rest of that billing cycle and then go back to normal.
- The next time you exceed that usage level, your speeds will be reduced without another text message reminder.
If you have a 4G LTE smartphone and still have an unlimited data plan, the same process applies at 5GB of data usage, instead of 3GB.
You'll still be able to use as much data as you want. That won't change. Only your data throughput speed will change if you use 3GB or more in one billing cycle on a 3G or 4G smartphone or 5GB or more on a 4G LTE smartphone.
If you're an unlimited data customer and you don't get a text message from us, you are among the 95% of smartphone customers whose speeds won't be affected.
1. Use Wi-Fi.
Your speeds are not reduced if you are connected via Wi-Fi, and data activity over Wi-Fi doesn't count toward the threshold at which your data speeds will be reduced.Learn how to connect via Wi-Fi
2. Do nothing.
You may continue to use an unlimited amount of data; however, your speeds will be reduced if you use 3GB or more (5GB or more for 4G LTE devices) in a billing cycle.
3. Switch to a tiered data plan.
With tiered data plans, your speeds are not reduced. You simply pay for data usage that exceeds a monthly allowance depending on the tiered data plan that you choose. You can switch without having to sign a new two-year term agreement. Recommended plans are just $30 a month for 3GB or $50 a month for 5GB.Learn more about our tiered data plans
AT&T Smartphone Adoption
Experts agree that our country is facing a serious wireless spectrum crunch. While access to more spectrum is absolutely critical, we are continuing to invest aggressively to meet customer demand:
- AT&T has invested more than $95 billion in our wireless and wireline networks over the past five years.
- In 2011, we invested $20 billion in our networks and completed more than 150,000 wireless network improvements.
- We expect to invest about $20 billion again in 2012 with a focus on wireless.
AT&T Smart Wi-Fi App
Locate and connect to Wi-Fi
hotspots. Manage connections and data usage.