Media Kit: Emerging Devices
Emerging Devices Videos
AT&T Emerging Devices Featured at CTIA Wireless 2012AT&T features numerous emerging devices at CTIA Wireless 2012. Some of the emerging devices featured at AT&T’s booth at CTIA include healthcare solutions and the PlayStation Vita. Learn more about AT&T’s innovative technology by visiting http://att.com/innovation.
AT&T Developer Summit 2012 Technology & Device HighlightsHighlights from AT&T Developer Summit 2012 include 4G LTE strategy, API tools and Application Resource Optimizer (ARO). Other devices and technology discussed at the Developer Summit includes the first LTE Windows devices and the world’s first waterproof tablet the Pantech Element. Visit http://att.com/innovation to learn more about AT&T’s innovative technology and emerging devices.
Emerging Devices & Sony Unveil the PlayStation VitaAT&T Emerging Devices Organization joins Sony at E3 to unveil the PlayStation Vita. The PSVita is a handheld gaming device that runs on AT&T’s mobile broadband network. To learn more about AT&T emerging devices, please visit hhttp://att.com/innovation.
AT&T Emerging Devices Organization at Mobile World CongressAT&T Emerging Devices Organization attended Mobile World Congress conference. AT&T technology featured at the conference included Garmin GTU 10 and GlowCaps from Vitality. Learn more by visiting http://att.com/innovation.
- Emerging Facts
- Emerging Network
- Emerging News
Emerging Devices Overview
Mobile broadband is on the brink of exploding. Industry analysts predict that enabling consumer electronics and machine-to-machine devices with wireless connectivity will drive consumer demand and industry innovation. At the same time, these emerging devices will define the competitive environment in the United States for the next 10 years.
Mobile broadband and the emerging devices it enables extend beyond the traditional handset and SmartPhone. Virtually any electronic device can be wirelessly enabled. We're talking about personal navigation devices, digital cameras and photo frames, e-readers, and mobile Internet devices. And on the enterprise side, applications from security monitoring systems, healthcare tracking and logistics systems all benefit from wireless connectivity.
We took the lead on emerging technologies through our role in introducing Apple's iPhone. This device has shown the world the enormous appetite for mobile broadband connectivity and the possibilities that exist in bringing that connection to the palm of your hand.
Mobile broadband also is driving these new categories of devices and applications, both for consumers and businesses. We've already taken the lead in wirelessly empowering a variety of netbooks and laptops for consumers as well as services for the enterprise category, including devices for major package delivery companies to wirelessly enable their fleets. And we're just getting started.
No matter how you measure success, we have it covered. Our powerful and robust networks deliver a seamless customer experience. Our distribution channels are unmatched. And we offer speed and flexibility to meet the needs of the developers building emerging devices.
Learn more about AT&T's Emerging Devices and why no one else can match our expertise and leadership.
The Emerging Device organization is a key component of AT&T’s business strategy to further grow its wireless penetration and develop new distribution models — and in association with AT&T Business Solutions it builds on AT&T’s industry-leading work over the past decade with enterprise customers to enable specialty devices to access its wireless network. AT&T expects many of the electronic devices that consumers and businesses use today will be enhanced with wireless connectivity. This will drive the emergence of new categories of devices and applications.
This connectivity will be made possible through AT&T’s expansive wireless network, which offers the best wireless coverage worldwide, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. Built on the GSM family of technologies, the de facto wireless world standard, AT&T’s wireless network brings enormous economies of scale to electronic manufacturers who are eager for more cost effective and seamless alternatives for incorporating wireless technology in specialty devices.
To help bring these innovative products to market, AT&T will leverage its industry leading assets, including:
Trusted U.S. Network
- Fastest mobile broadband network
- The best wireless coverage worldwide, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries
- No. 1 Home Broadband Provider
- Nation’s leading Wi-Fi network with more than 27,000 hot spots
Product Development Organization
- Offers rigorous testing, streamlined customer experience, billing, activation, marketing and support
Dedicated Emerging Device Certification Lab
- AT&T has certified more than 1,000 wireless specialty consumer and machine-to-machine devices - such as eReaders, netbooks, digital photo frames, personal navigation devices, and home security monitoring and smart grid devices - for use on its wireless network.
- AT&T opened a dedicated emerging device certification lab in Austin in September 2009 to serve as the hub for testing network compatibility, data performance and audio quality for a broad range of non-traditional, wirelessly-enabled devices. The lab also manages field tests for these devices in markets across the country.
The AT&T Control Center
The AT&T Control Center – Powered by Jasper Wireless, is a combined platform to connect and support a variety of emerging consumer electronic and business devices on AT&T’s nationwide wireless network.
Through a unique suite of applications and services, the AT&T Control Center offers automated management capabilities for device manufacturers, including:
- Instant activation – simplifies provisioning and enhances the customer experience by automatically activating wireless service when the device is powered on for the first time.
- Usage analytics – enables manufacturers and service providers to gain real-time insight into product performance on the AT&T network.
- Performance assurance – utilizes best practices to test devices and assure their performance before deployment.
- Flexible business models – provides customized rate plans that address the needs of particular market segments.
- Design services – optimizes devices for global deployment within a few weeks.
- Customer support – ensures service continuity with support from expert engineers.
Flexible Partnerships & Business Models
- Wholesale, partnership, branded retail
- Content and application partners
- Billing infrastructure, customer care
AT&T’s Unmatched Distribution
- More than 2,200 company-owned stores
- Top-rate retail partnerships (e.g., Best Buy, Walmart, Radio Shack, Costco)
- 95.5 million wireless customers
Today, AT&T is a leader in
- Wireless Services, offering the best wireless coverage worldwide and the nation's mobile broadband network.
- IP services for businesses, with one of the world's most advanced and powerful global backbone networks, carrying 23.7 petabytes of data traffic on an average business day to nearly every continent and country, with up to 99.999 percent reliability.
- IPTV deployment, with one of the world's most high-profile rollouts of IPTV technology with deployment expected to reach approximately 30 million living units across 22 states by the end of 2011.
- Wi-Fi, with the largest Wi-Fi network in the United States and a global Wi-Fi footprint spanning countries around the world.
- Innovation through AT&T Labs, which has thousands of patents issued or pending worldwide and is a successor to a heritage that produced seven Nobel prizes.
- Driving industry R&D related to wireless and wireline connectivity, IP applications for mobile, home and business users.
Network — Footprint
- AT&T offers the best wireless coverage worldwide, with voice coverage in more than 220 countries and wireless data coverage in more than 195 countries for laptops, PDAs and other data services and mobile broadband service in more than 120 countries.
- AT&T's domestic digital voice and data network covers nearly 80 percent of the U.S. population.
- AT&T offers to its customers a nationwide GSM/GPRS footprint across nearly 97 percent of its service area. GSM is the world's most popular wireless phone technology, used by more than 3.8 billion people (more than 88 percent of all wireless users) in 200-plus countries.
- AT&T also offers wireless service on more than 135 cruise ships worldwide.
Network — Innovation
- In 2010 AT&T announced expanded deployment of fiber-optic backhaul – three times our 2009 fiber deployment – to support faster 3G speeds. .
- AT&T added about 2,000 new cell sites to its network in 2010, expanding 3G service to cover more markets across the country.
- The upgrades also included the deployment of High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) 7.2 technology – part of AT&T's plan for continued investments to deliver the nation's best mobile broadband experience — the ideal combination of speed, coverage and best device line-up. AT&T today has the nation's fastest mobile broadband network and more smartphone customers have chosen AT&T over its nearest competitor.
- HSPA is the high speed evolution of GSM/EDGE (Global System for Mobile Communication/Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution), which shares a common core network.
- The deployment completed the transition of the AT&T 3G network to HSPA standards, marking the only full transition by any wireless provider in the United States to this latest generation of wireless broadband capabilities.
- AT&T's HSPA network is in the best position among American carriers to grow in line with customer demand, evolving to even faster speeds through software upgrades without costly investments across the breadth of the network.
- AT&T plans to adopt LTE (Long-Term Evolution) technology to reach even higher speeds in the longer term.
- AT&T Wireless Network News Page.
- TomTom Unveils GO 2505 M LIVE
Jan 5, 2011
- Isabella Products Unveils Mini™, World's First Cellular-Connected USB for Photo-Sharing, at CES in Las Vegas
Jan 5, 2011
- Pandigital Introduces AT&T Wirelessly Connected 9-Inch Android™ Multimedia Tablet and eReader
Jan 4, 2011
- iPad Available in US on April 3
March 5, 2010
- Introducing the QUE™ proReader
Jan 7, 2010
- AT&T Launches Emerging Devices Web Site to Connect Device Manufacturers with Industry Leading Network Solutions
Jan 6, 2010
- Barnes & Noble Introduces nook™, its Wireless eBook Reader with E Ink® Display & First Color Touch Screen for Navigation
Oct 20, 2009
Related News Releases
General Motors Selects AT&T's 4G LTE Network to Deliver Enhanced Services to Millions of Vehicles
Dallas, Texas, February 25, 2013
AT&T and Numera Combine Personal Safety and Home Health Management with New Personal Health Gateway
Dallas, Texas, February 21, 2013
New Information Technologies Double Corporate Competitiveness
London, United Kingdom, January 29, 2013
Lenovo IdeaTab A2107 Added to AT&T Tablet Lineup
Dallas, Texas, January 11, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Camera Available on AT&T's 4G Network Beginning Nov. 16
Dallas, Texas, November 12, 2012
AT&T Introduces New Connection Kits for Emerging Device Developers
Dallas, Texas, October 15, 2012
Motorola ATRIX HD for AT&T is Slimmer, Stronger and Smarter than Ever Before
Dallas, Texas, July 10, 2012
Music The Way The Artist Intended, Beats By Dr. Dre Beatbox Available Exclusively From AT&T March 11
Dallas, Texas, March 5, 2012
AT&T Targets International Service Providers with Platform for Remote Monitoring and Automation
Dallas, Texas, February 23, 2012
Stay Connected On The Go with the New Acer Netbook, Aspire A0722
Dallas, Texas, January 19, 2012
Voice-Enabled Virtual Assistant Designed to Limit Driver Distraction by Providing A Platform for Connected Vehicle Services
Dallas, Texas, January 9, 2012
AT&T Unveils 4G LTE Android Smartphones and Tablet Planned for Early 2012
Dallas, Texas, January 9, 2012
Emerging and M2M Devices on Tap for 4G Speeds
Dallas, Texas, December 14, 2011
Parents to Keep Tabs on Baby Through Wirelessly Connected Pajamas
Dallas, Texas, December 7, 2011
'Tis the Season for Gifting Galore with 4G LTE Handsets and Tablets
Dallas, Texas, November 29, 2011
Lighten Santa's Load this Holiday Season with the Compact Kindle Touch 3G
Dallas, Texas, November 15, 2011
New 4G LTE Tablet Available for AT&T Customers
Dallas, Texas, November 14, 2011
UP by Jawbone® with MotionX® Technology Empowers You to Live a Healthier Life
San Francisco, California, November 3, 2011
Power, Performance and Production Remain Steadfast for AT&T's Connection Kit Program
Dallas, Texas, October 12, 2011
New Tracking Device Delivers Peace Of Mind To Parents
Dallas, Texas, October 11, 2011
Maximize Entertainment on the Go With the New Acer Iconia Tab A501
Dallas, Texas, September 12, 2011
New HTC Jetstream™ Tablet Available Exclusively To AT&T Customers
Dallas, Texas, August 31, 2011
Give Your Backpack A Break This Fall, Get The Amazon Kindle 3G With Special Offers
Dallas, Texas, August 19, 2011
AT&T To Connect "Sony Tablet" S2 On Nation’s Fastest Mobile Broadband Network
Dallas, Texas, July 13, 2011
AT&T To Sponsor Kindle 3G
Seattle, Washington, July 13, 2011