AT&T* has signed a six-year enterprise wide agreement with Smiths Group worth up to $150m to provide Smiths with advanced communications services. AT&T will provide a range of solutions and applications that will support an on-going business transformation by Smiths and provide it with a common communications infrastructure across all of its operations and business units, supporting 23,000 employees at 300 locations around the world.
The agreement is designed to allow Smiths to take advantage rapidly of new and emerging technologies, such as cloud computing and unified communications, and meet its extensive mobility requirements, while being able to reduce operating costs.
Smiths aims to improve productivity and efficiencies while enhancing the ability to control, manage and configure its Information Technology (IT) platforms and make IT “fit the business.”
The new agreement between the two companies builds on an earlier contract (announced in 2008) when AT&T was selected to provide Smiths global wide area network. Key features include:
- Single global contract between AT&T and Smiths for all services and geographies
- Creation of a dedicated team within AT&T to provide support for Smiths and to deliver a jointly agreed corporate IT transformation plan
- Wide range of technologies to be deployed or supported by AT&T including:
- Mobility services in both the United States and Europe
- Internet Protocol (IP) virtual private network connecting more than 300 Smiths locations in 50 countries
- Managed hosting of Smiths critical data within AT&T Internet data centres in Europe (Amsterdam), North America (Chicago) and Asia Pacific (Singapore)
- Managed IPT and LAN services deployed across Smiths operations
- Comprehensive portfolio of AT&T’s security services deployed including web-filtering, token authentication, security consultancy and AT&T Internet Protect
- Hosting and management for key business applications such as SAP and email
- Collaboration technologies such as video conferencing and desk-top conferencing through AT&T Connect
- Remote access for 6000 Smiths employees allowing company ‘road warriors’ to safely and securely connect to the corporate network from virtually anywhere in the world
“This agreement is strategically important for us,” said Brian Jones, Chief Information Officer for Smiths Group. “It is an enterprise-wide engagement, rather than simply purchasing a series of technologies or entering into a series of transactions. The entire Smiths Group now has access to a common services platform, allowing us to manage assets, speed decision-making, improve productivity and foster greater collaboration across our portfolio. Operating costs are significantly cut while reliability is improved. We now have a global infrastructure that will allow us to exploit new opportunities, benefit from emerging technologies and enjoy AT&T’s global scale.”
Andrew Edison, head of AT&T’s business in Europe, Middle East & Africa welcomed today’s announcement. “Smiths were clear what they wanted; a trusted provider that has the global scale, scope and resource to deliver the critical solutions they need to make their operations and businesses run efficiently. We have been able to extend our existing relationship to show the full range of skills and technologies we can deploy around the globe and give Smiths the confidence that they have in place the support and applications they need to succeed.”
Additionally, through AT&T BusinessDirect®, AT&T’s award-winning Web portal, Smiths can perform a multitude of highly reliable network management and administrative tasks. AT&T BusinessDirect helps users manage their network services online to improve productivity, increase the speed and accuracy of their network transactions and optimize network efficiency, all while potentially reducing costs.