Study Reveals AT&T Smartphone Customers More Likely To Be Satisfied With Their Devices
Dallas, Texas, September 27, 2011
More smartphone customers choose AT&T* and now a study from market research leader Nielsen shows that across the nation AT&T smartphone owners are more satisfied with their handsets than similar subscribers of other major wireless carriers. The findings are reported in the Nielsen Mobile Insights Study, Q1 and Q2 2011, and are consistent with other independent, third-party smartphone research.
“Our data shows that as of the second quarter this year, about half of our postpaid customers had smartphones — more than any other wireless provider — and this trend shows no signs of slowing down,” said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “Nielsen’s results reinforce that our customers have the highest device satisfaction compared to all carriers. Whether a customer is upgrading to a new model or selecting their very first, they can depend on us for a superior smartphone experience.”
Christopher said more smartphone customers are choosing AT&T for its:
- Smartphone selection: AT&T offers award-winning Android smartphones – including the Motorola ATRIX™ 4G (named the best smartphone at CES) and the LG Thrill 4G (among the best smartphones in the CTIA E-Tech awards) – and the largest lineup of BlackBerry and Windows Phone devices. Since February, AT&T has introduced 10 Android smartphones and two new Android tablets, including the first smartphone with a 4.5-inch display and dual-core processor, with more planned in 2011.
- International roaming: AT&T’s wireless customers enjoy a robust selection of world phones and discounted data, messaging and voice packages, along with the broadest global coverage of any U.S. wireless provider. With voice service in more than 220 countries, AT&T customers can travel around the globe and make and receive calls on the same wireless number they use at home. AT&T also offers data roaming service (email, web browsing) in more than 205 countries, including 3G in more than 145, including Japan and South Korea. AT&T customers can also choose a service on more than 140 major cruise ships. In fact, AT&T has more than twice as many smartphone customers using phones that enable calls outside the U.S. than other major wireless carriers.
- Talk and surf: The ability to talk and surf at the same time on a smartphone is one of the key advantages of the AT&T mobile broadband network, providing customers the convenience of simultaneously talking with friends and family while checking Facebook or looking for directions to a restaurant. For enterprise customers, it enables employees to be more efficient and responsive to clients and colleagues while on-the-go.
- Mobile To Any Mobile: AT&T offers unlimited mobile calling to any mobile number in America to customers with an unlimited messaging plan and a qualifying voice plan. Introduced in February, Mobile To Any Mobile brings added value and flexibility to the lives of customers and helps them stay connected to the people they want to talk to, when they want to talk, without the hassle of tracking minutes remaining. Additionally, when you include Rollover Minutes -- a benefit available exclusively from AT&T that lets customers keep their unused minutes for all domestic calls, including to landline numbers -- it’s clear that AT&T offers the most value in the industry.
- 4G: AT&T has deployed HSPA+ across its network and is currently deploying LTE to provide much faster mobile broadband speeds to customers with compatible devices, including the recently launched HTC Jetstream. As additional 4G devices are introduced, AT&T customers will have even more opportunity to take advantage of the network – already recognized by leading industry analyst firm Frost & Sullivan with the 2011 North American Product Line Strategy Award in the Mobile Network Market, stating, “AT&T’s wireless network strategy will undoubtedly benefit its customers, who will have access to faster speeds, even when outside an LTE coverage area.” A recent analysis of AT&T’s new LTE network was proclaimed, “The fastest cellular connection we’ve ever seen.”
- Nation’s largest Wi-Fi network**: With nearly 27,000 hotspots in the U.S. and with access to more than 190,000 hotspots globally through roaming agreements, AT&T supports more Wi-Fi capable smartphones than any other major carrier. Customers with qualifying smartphone, broadband and LaptopConnect plans can connect at no extra cost and automatically switch between AT&T’s mobile broadband network and AT&T Wi-Fi.
- Specialized customer care: AT&T has a history of offering excellent customer service. To ensure customers experience success and ease-of-use with their smartphone, AT&T has initiatives in place to quickly and directly address the smartphone customer’s needs - from the point of purchase to continuing support. For example, Retail representatives are required to complete extensive training on AT&T’s device portfolio, including all major operating system improvements and changes. Additionally, programs such as ‘Quick Start’ provide remote access support for all smartphones, netbooks, tablets and microcells sold in AT&T stores.
For more information visit att.com.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
**Largest based on company branded and operated hotspots. Access includes AT&T Wi-Fi Basic. A Wi-Fi enabled device required. Other restrictions apply. See www.attwifi.com for details and locations.
4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. Available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. Requires 4G device. Learn more at att.com/network.
Source: The Nielsen Company estimation based on an independent survey of 135,469 mobile phone users in 103 markets between January 2011 and June 2011. Copyright 2011 The Nielsen Company.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile broadband and emerging 4G capabilities, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T | DIRECTV brands. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world. In domestic markets, AT&T Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive are known for their leadership in local search and advertising.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2011 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. Mobile broadband not available in all areas. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.