AT&T DriveMode Update
Dallas, Texas, October 12, 2011
Did you know texting takes your eyes off the road for an average of 5 seconds? At 55 mph, that’s like driving the length of a football field completely blind.*
To reduce the temptation to text while driving, AT&T offers a simple – and free – mobile application, AT&T DriveMode – now available for its Android™ and BlackBerry® customers.
When downloaded and activated, AT&T DriveMode automatically sends a customizable reply to incoming texts – notifying the sender that the user is driving and unable to respond. The auto-response is similar to an “out-of-office” email alert.**
AT&T’s anti-texting-while-driving mobile solution is part of the company’s broader “It Can Wait” campaign that aims to stigmatize texting while driving.
The AT&T DriveMode app stemmed from an idea that was originally submitted to The Innovation Pipeline (TIP), AT&T’s unique online crowd-sourcing tool that harnesses the creative talent of AT&T employees. Participants submit their ideas through an online platform, get feedback from others and secure funding for development of the program. AT&T DriveMode was voted one of the top ideas and was subsequently developed into today’s application.
HOW THE APP WORKS:
- Once downloaded, customers can manually enable the app prior to driving, activating the auto-reply feature.
The app also provides the option to send calls directly to voicemail, and to send an auto-reply to incoming emails. When the app is turned off, user can view the calls, messages and e-mails as they normally would.
AT&T DriveMode also offers additional safety and convenience features, including:
- The “Allow List” lets users select up to five contact numbers – such as roadside assistance and family members – to send and receive calls while the app is running.
- 911 is always accessible with just a touch of a button, regardless of whether the app is turned on.
- Music and Navigation settings allow one music and one navigation app to run while AT&T DriveMode is enabled.
- By downloading the app, customers are also automatically taking AT&T’s “It Can Wait” pledge, joining the thousands who have made the commitment to not text while driving.
- For more information and downloadable educational tools related to AT&T’s “It Can Wait” campaign, please visit: www.att.com/textingcanwait.
*Virginia Tech Transportation Institute Research: www.vtti.vt.edu
**Data and text messaging charges may apply for download and app usage. Standard messaging rates apply to auto-reply messages. AT&T DriveMode is free to AT&T customers only. Compatible device required.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited.