Industry's First Integrated Wireless Receiver Gives U-Verse TV Customers More Freedom to Easily Watch TV Anywhere, in Any Room in the Home
Dallas, Texas, October 25, 2011
You’ve probably always arranged your living room furniture around one fixture, without even thinking twice about it: the TV and TV outlet. For the first time ever, U-verse TV customers have the flexibility to set up their TV virtually wherever they want it — anywhere, in any room, on any wall.
The AT&T* U-verse® TV Wireless Receiver is the first fully-integrated wireless receiver available from any TV provider, and gives U-verse TV customers even more freedom to watch TV when and where they want it, including rooms without an existing U-verse outlet. The Wireless Receiver will be available for order on Monday, Oct. 31. With the U-verse Wireless Receiver, you can enjoy:
- The flexibility to design your room and arrange your furniture to suit your style, since the TV is no longer tied to the TV outlet. In a customer survey conducted by AT&T, more than two-thirds of respondents said it was very or somewhat important to have the flexibility to move the TV from one location to another without needing a TV outlet.
- The ability to have a TV in rooms not typically wired for TV, including an outdoor covered patio. More than 80 percent of customers said an important reason for having a Wireless Receiver was so they could place a TV in a room where there’s not an existing TV outlet, such as a kitchen or outdoors. More than half of survey respondents said they would most likely use a Wireless Receiver to move a TV to their porch or patio.
- The ability to easily move your TV for special events. Thirty percent of customers surveyed said they would relocate a TV so they could have multiple TVs in a room to watch a sporting or pay-per-view event.
- The ability to move your TV to the guest room or basement for house guests. More than 59 percent of survey respondents said they would relocate a TV to entertain visitors or guests.
- Extra value of one receiver serving multiple rooms. With the flexibility and ease to move your TV around your home, the U-verse Wireless Receiver eliminates the need for dedicated U-verse receivers in less-frequented rooms.
- A faster and simpler set-up process for customers and U-verse technicians. The U-verse Wireless Receiver simply connects to the TV and plugs into a power outlet. A wireless signal strength indicator helps you find the best place for your U-verse Wireless Receiver.
- The same advanced U-verse TV experience and features available today, including the ability to watch live Standard Definition or High Definition TV and access interactive TV apps, your program guide, the U-verse Movies library and more. The Wireless Receiver also has full Total Home DVR capabilities to manage and play back recordings and pause and rewind live TV from any TV in the home.
“For decades, the TV outlet has dictated how viewers can arrange their furniture and where they place their TV,” said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “Now, for the first time, customers have the freedom to move the TV virtually whenever and wherever they want to, without a special appointment with a service technician. It’s another innovation for U-verse TV.”
The U-verse Wireless Receiver is available for a one-time fee of $49 and a standard $7 per month receiver rental fee.
How it Works
TV content is delivered from the wireless access point near the residential gateway over your in-home Wi-Fi to the U-verse Wireless Receiver, made by Cisco. All U-verse Internet packages include wireless home networking at no extra cost. The easy set-up reduces the time for installation appointments because technicians won’t need to rewire or add outlets, and it’s also simple for existing customers to add a wireless receiver on their own.
You may view a demo of the U-verse Wireless Receiver here.
AT&T U-verse TV is the fastest growing TV service in the country and the only 100 percent Internet Protocol-based television (IPTV) service offered by a national service provider. U-verse is built on the mission of bringing customers an innovative and better experience than cable, and the industry’s first fully-integrated Wireless Receiver is the latest example in a long line of enhancements. AT&T U-verse TV ranked “Highest in Residential Television Service Satisfaction in the North Central, South and West Regions,” according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2011 Residential Television Service Provider Satisfaction StudySM.