4G LTE from AT&T Now Available in San Juan, Puerto Rico on November 20
San Juan area customers to benefit from ultra-fast mobile broadband on new LTE compatible devices
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, November 14, 2011
This Sunday, Nov. 20, AT&T* will turn on its 4G LTE network in San Juan, Puerto Rico, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. AT&T 4G LTE provides several benefits, including:
Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering speeds faster than many other mobile broadband technologies. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
- Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency, or the processing time it takes to move data through a network, such as how long it takes to start downloading a webpage or file once you’ve sent the request. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
- More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than 3G, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
- Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets.
“We continue to see demand for mobile broadband skyrocket, and our 4G LTE network in San Juan, Puerto Rico responds to what customers want from their mobile experience — more speeds on the best devices,” said Jose Juan Davila, VPGM of AT&T Mobility for Puerto Rico.
AT&T 4G LTE Devices
AT&T offers seven 4G LTE-compatible devices:
- Samsung Galaxy™ Tab 8.9, available beginning Nov. 20
- HTC Vivid™
- Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™
- HTC Jetstream™ tablet
- AT&T USBConnect Momentum 4G
- AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G
- AT&T USBConnect Adrenaline
AT&T’s 4G LTE Network
AT&T will continue to expand its 4G LTE footprint in Puerto Rico over the coming months. AT&T has already launched 4G LTE in Athens, Ga., Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and Washington, D.C., and will launch in six more markets on Nov. 20, including Charlotte, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, and San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Nov. 20 launches will expand AT&T 4G LTE to 15 markets total, meeting its 2011 market commitment. AT&T plans to reach 70 million consumers in the United States and Puerto Rico by year-end 2011.
Even as AT&T 4G LTE expands, customers will be able to enjoy more consistent 4G speeds as they move in and out of LTE areas. Not only is AT&T deploying 4G LTE, it has also deployed fast HSPA+ technology throughout its mobile broadband network. HSPA+, when combined with enhanced backhaul, provides customers with 4G speeds. Customers of competitors who have transitioned to LTE without further speed upgrades to their existing networks are likely to see a jarring drop-off in speeds when they move out of LTE areas.
AT&T plans to deliver 4G LTE over 700 MHz, as well as 1700/2100 MHz AWS spectrum, which enables strong coverage and excellent capacity.
Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. Deployment ongoing. 4G LTE device and data plan required. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Learn more about 4G LTE at att.com/network.