First LTE Windows Phones in U.S. Coming Exclusively to AT&T Customers
New 4G LTE Windows Phones from HTC and Nokia Planned to Arrive 1H 2012. AT&T Goal is to Deliver Customers the Industry's Best Mobile Broadband Experience With Leading 4G LTE Device Portfolio, Along with Best-in-Class Apps and Network
Dallas, Texas, January 09, 2012
- Ralph de la Vega, president and chief executive officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets, and Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer, Microsoft, jointly announced from the stage of the annual AT&T Developer Summit -- a day before the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas -- that the first 4G LTE Windows Phones will be available exclusively from AT&T*.
- De la Vega and Ballmer were joined by Peter Chou, chief executive officer, HTC, to introduce the HTC TITAN™ II and showcased the smartphone’s 4.7-inch display and industry-leading 16-megapixel camera, among other features.
- Stephen Elop, chief executive officer, Nokia, also took the stage to announce that AT&T would be the exclusive carrier for Nokia’s first ever 4G LTE Windows Phone in the U.S. De la Vega will join Elop at a Nokia press conference at 3:00 p.m. (PST) later today where more details will be shared.
- The AT&T Developer Summit is a two-day event for software developers to participate in a Hackathon, hear the latest news on AT&T 4G devices and network and get technical news and marketing insights from industry experts. Over 2,000 developers are attending. AT&T remains focused on opening up its network to developers and creating opportunities for collaboration. The two-day AT&T Developer Summit underscores this commitment.
- At the Developer Summit, AT&T also provided an update on its 4G LTE network build and outlined the benefits of its blended network technologies approach, which offers customers with compatible devices consistently fast 4G speeds in and out of 4G LTE areas.
- All news releases and related multimedia content are available in the AT&T online newsroom: att.com/aboutus. Customers can learn more about the devices previewed today at att.com/ces.
Windows Phone Leadership
AT&T is the leader in Windows Phones—outselling all other carriers and planning to offer the first portfolio of 4G LTE-capable Windows Phones. AT&T will exclusively offer the first two 4G LTE-capable Windows Phones in the U.S. The HTC TITAN II, and a new Windows Phone from Nokia will run Windows Phone 7.5 and take Windows Phone users to a new level of mobile broadband with 4G LTE speeds backed by AT&T’s nationwide 4G-capable, HSPA+ network.
HTC TITAN™ II
- The HTC TITAN™ II, the latest Windows Phone from HTC, runs on AT&T’s 4G LTE network and is powered by a 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S2 processor by Qualcomm. TITAN II features AT&T’s largest-ever 16-megapixel camera with a dedicated image processor and a back-illuminated sensor for low light. The device’s 4.7-inch screen, boasting the largest display among Windows Phones globally, is perfect for watching movies, playing games, emailing or surfing the web.
Exclusive to AT&T, the HTC TITAN™ II will be available in the coming months at AT&T company-owned stores and online.
Nokia Windows Phone
- AT&T will be the exclusive carrier of Nokia’s first ever 4G LTE Windows Phone. More details will be shared during Nokia’s press conference in Las Vegas at 3 p.m. PST.
“We’re thrilled to extend our Windows Phone leadership by being the first carrier to bring 4G LTE Windows Phones to our customers,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “Offering a best-in-class 4G smartphone portfolio, coupled with a fast, high-performing 4G LTE network and innovative, next-generation applications, is how we give our customers the best mobile broadband experience in the industry.”
“Windows Phone takes a different approach by putting people first.” said Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft. “We’re incredibly optimistic about the opportunity ahead and especially today’s announcement to launch the first LTE Windows Phones in the U.S. on AT&T’s network."