North Texas GLBT Chamber Recognizes AT&T
AT&T awarded 2011 Corporate Ally Award
Dallas, Texas, March 28, 2012
AT&T’s inclusive workforce has been recognized with the North Texas Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Chamber 2011 Corporate Ally Award.
“We are honored by this recognition of our effort to ensure we provide an environment where employees can bring their authentic selves to work,” said Debbie Storey, AT&T senior vice president of talent development and chief diversity officer. “At AT&T, diversity and inclusion are business imperatives and the key to our future success. We know that only by harnessing the diverse backgrounds and views represented by our workforce will we be able to meet the needs of the diverse communities we serve,” she added.
AT&T was one of the first Fortune 500 companies to adopt a non-discrimination policy toward sexual orientation, followed by the adoption of one of the first domestic partner benefits for LGBT employees.
Among others, AT&T offers the following:
- Health insurance benefits offered to domestic partners beginning in 1999 and, since 2005, to legally recognized partners.
- Qualified pre-retirement survivor annuity pension offered to spouses and partners.
- Health insurance plan coverage for transition-related treatment of transgender individuals.
- Mandatory training for new hires on AT&T’s non-discrimination policy, including sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Outreach to the LGBT community including recruiting, marketing, community involvement and support for LGBT equality.
AT&T’s effort to ensure all employees have the opportunity to be fully included in the company’s mission is further evidenced by its 11 employee resource groups, which offer opportunities for employees to learn, network, collaborate and develop professionally. All of these groups, including LEAGUE at AT&T - the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Allies Organization at AT&T – are supportive partners in AT&T’s business. LEAGUE at AT&T was founded by employees in 1987.
AT&T is a supporter of the North Texas GLBT Chamber, the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, the Human Rights Campaign, GLAAD, Victory Fund, The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network), The POINT Foundation and Lambda Legal.
To explore career opportunities at AT&T visit www.att.jobs.