Media Kit: Safeguard Your Business
Disaster preparedness statistics for the country's 25 million small businesses are stormy to say the least. To help mitigate the impact of disasters — both natural and manmade — AT&T launched "Safeguard Your Business" to help shed light on the importance of small businesses being prepared and to offer simple, proactive steps to preparedness.
- By the Numbers
- Preparedness Resources
- Videos and Multimedia
- Related Materials
By the Numbers
Disaster comes in all shapes and sizes, but for a small business, it can be potentially devastating. Being prepared can sometimes mean the difference between surviving and sinking.
There are more than 27 million small businesses in the United States, and they play a significant role in the economy. Together, they have generated more than 60 percent of new jobs over the last 15 years, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration.
The strength of local communities often depends on the success of small businesses. As a result, entire communities benefit when small businesses are prepared for emergencies and natural or manmade disasters.
- More than one in four small businesses will experience a "significant crisis" – hurricane, wildfire, tornado, power outage, flash flood, cyber breach, etc. – in any given year. (Continuity Insights magazine and KPMY Risk Advisory Services survey)
- Nearly two-thirds of small businesses do not have an emergency plan in place for their business. (Insurance Information Institute)
- At least 40 percent of businesses affected by a natural or man-made disaster never reopen. (Insurance Information Institute)
- Putting a disaster plan in motion now will improve the likelihood that businesses and organizations will not only survive and recover themselves, but also help their neighbors and communities recover more quickly. (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
Digital data is more valuable than some small business owners may realize. Customer files, financial records, and digital resources are vital to reopen after a hacking incident, and storing data remotely or online makes the process easier.
- Nearly one-third of businesses indicate that a major security breach has the potential to put them out of business entirely. (National Computer Security Association)
- Spyware infections require two-and-a-half days to resolve and cost small businesses $8,000 a year, in addition to any lost revenue associated with the incident. (CompTIA)
- While 92 percent of businesses back up data, less than one-third do so remotely either via Internet or by taking storage devices offsite. (2012 AT&T Small Business Tech Poll)
- Seven in 10 small businesses go out of business within a year of a severe data loss. (Price Waterhouse Coopers)
- To see what types of disasters most affect your state, click here
A large part of 'Safeguard Your Business' is making sure small businesses have general information and proper resources to prepare for disasters. One way to do this is by taking the AT&T Quick Check for Disaster Prep, which will help you identify key areas of strength and areas where you might have room for improvement.
We've included a number of additional resources below that you can use to help ready your small business and help prepare for whatever comes your way:
- Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Assistance
- Planning for Disasters in Advance
- Disaster Recovery Plan
- Three Steps to Protect Your Business
- Protect Your Customers
- Protect Your Employees
- SMB Security Study Data
AT&T Products and Services
Videos and Multimedia
Many small businesses know what it's like to experience disaster, whether it be data loss due to a cyber-hacker, a power outage, or a complete loss following a terrible storm. Several have shared their stories on video, and we encourage you to visit our YouTube channel to learn more. And most importantly, take their advice and be proactive when it comes to disaster preparedness.
We encourage you to download any of these files and share with friends, family, colleagues, and fellow business owners as appropriate. You never know when you could help save a business, or even more important, a life.
- Checklist: Stay in Command of Your Business
- Infographic: Stay in Command of Your Business
- Infographic: Can Your Small Business Survive a Disaster?
- Checklist: Prepare Your Business for the Unexpected
- News Release: Majority of U.S. Small Businesses Unprepared for Emergencies, Natural and Manmade Disasters
- Disaster Preparedness FAQ
- Tips for Small Business Disaster Preparedness
- State-by-state Disaster Impact Fact Sheet
- Disaster Preparedness Data
- Video: Critical Communications from AT&T
- Satellite Augmented Mobile
Quick Check for
How do you rate when it comes to safeguarding your business?