AT&T Invests Nearly $425 Million in Florida Network in First Half of 2013
Investments Strengthen Nation’s Fastest and Most Reliable 4G LTE Network In First Six Months, Project Velocity IP Results in Enhanced Wireless Network Performance, Advanced Fiber-Optic Connectivity for Nearly 18,450 Florida Businesses, AT&T U-verse Services for Nearly 25,050 Customer Locations
Miami, Florida, August 07, 2013
Blazing speeds. Great reliability. Broad coverage. Excellent overall performance. That’s what Florida residents want from their mobile Internet, and it’s exactly what AT&T* is delivering with an array of network upgrades completed in the first half of 2013.
In the first half of 2013, AT&T invested nearly $425 million in its wireless and wired networks in Florida. The investments included deployment of new macro cell sites, small cells and Distributed Antenna Systems across the state as a part of AT&T’s Project Velocity IP, a three-year investment plan announced last fall to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. The company also expanded and enhanced its 4G LTE network, which provides ultra-fast mobile Internet speeds, and deployed new Wi-Fi hot spots.
Project Velocity IP is also spurring the deployment of advanced fiber-optic connections directly to thousands of Florida businesses. In just the first six months of 2013, nearly 18,450 additional business customer locations in Florida – located in nearly 550 multi-tenant across buildings across the state – now have access to blazing-fast, reliable connections to Internet and cloud-based resources, which ride on the fiber network.
As part of Project VIP, AT&T also deployed advanced wired IP broadband connections for consumers, including AT&T U-verse® services for nearly 25,050 customer locations in Florida, in just the first six months of 2013. AT&T U-verse is an integrated bundle of services delivered over AT&T’s advanced IP network that include AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet, AT&T U-verse TV and AT&T U-verse Voice. AT&T offers customers the freedom to watch hit TV shows virtually anywhere, extensive HD channels, competitive Internet speeds, flexible bundles and continued service innovation. AT&T was recently named Frost & Sullivan Video Company of the Year.
These investments help to ensure that Florida residents continue to receive the best possible experience over the AT&T network, whether at home, at work or on the go. The great performance of AT&T’s 4G LTE network, now the nation’s fastest and most reliable, continues to be validated:
- AT&T now has the most reliable 4G LTE network. According to independent third-party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.**
- Meanwhile, our 4G LTE service was recognized as having faster average download and upload speeds than any of our competitors in PCWorld/TechHive’s most recent 20-market speed tests – the second consecutive year that AT&T has ranked 1st overall. PCWorld/TechHive also ranked AT&T’s as the fastest combination of 3G and 4G services in the 20 cities it tested.***
- And AT&T was named America’s fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine’s 2013 Fastest Mobile Networks 30-market study – sweeping the top rankings in all six U.S. regions from coast to coast: Northeast, Southeast, North-Central, South-Central, Northwest and Southwest.****
“Fast, reliable connectivity is essential to both quality of life and competitiveness at work,” said AT&T Florida President Marshall Criser, lll. “No one understands that better than we do, and no one is doing more than AT&T to mobilize a world that works for people in Florida. With programs like Project Velocity IP and other ongoing investments, we’re working to ensure that Florida consumers and businesses remain at the leading edge of broadband services.”
In addition, RootMetrics® has awarded AT&T 1st or tied for 1st for strongest overall call, text, and data performance in 66 of 125 national markets – including 7 of 12 in Florida, where AT&T was 1st in Kissimmee and tied for 1st in Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, Palm Bay, Pensacola and Port St. Lucie – from January through June this year.*****
Highlights of network upgrades completed so far this year in Florida include:
- Activating service on a neutral-host Distribute Antenna System (DAS) at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami;
- Activating a DAS at Florida’s Capitol Complex in Tallahassee;
- 4G LTE upgrades to our DAS at Sun Life Stadium in Miami;
- 4G LTE launches in Stuart, Fort Pierce, Clewiston, Sebring, Lakeland-Winter Haven, Homosassa Springs, Gainesville, Ocala, Palatka, Lake City, Palm Coast and Tallahassee;
- 4G LTE expansions in Jacksonville, Polk, Hernando County, Mount Dora, Ocala, Fort Myers, Naples and Tallahassee;
- Capacity upgrades to hundreds of cell sites.
“AT&T’s commitment to quality and innovation is evidenced by the company’s continuous enhancement of its products and services,” said Florida Secretary of Commerce Gray Swoope, who serves as president & CEO of Enterprise Florida, the state’s principal economic development organization. “This commitment is helping to strengthen Florida’s corporate climate, and the outcomes demonstrate the state’s leadership in information technology. We value these efforts because they are helping Florida maintain an infrastructure capable of meeting broadband and other vital needs of both businesses and citizens.”
The 2013 year-to-date network investment builds on the more than $2.8 billion that AT&T has invested in its Florida wireless and wired networks from 2010 through 2012.
In addition to the cities noted above, AT&T 4G LTE is now available in multiple areas of the state, including Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Melbourne-Titusville, Orlando, Tampa-St. Petersburg, Ocala, Daytona Beach, Pensacola, and Sarasota-Bradenton. Nationwide, more than 225 million Americans have access to AT&T 4G LTE service. By year-end 2013, AT&T expects to cover nearly 270 million people and 400 markets with its 4G LTE network.
For more information about AT&T’s coverage in Florida or anywhere in the United States, consumers can visit the AT&T Coverage Viewer. For updates on the AT&T wireless network, please visit the AT&T network news page.
Geographic and service restrictions apply to AT&T U-verse services. Call or go to www.att.com/u-verse to see if you qualify.