AT&T 4G LTE Available in Fairbanks Metropolitan Area
As Part of AT&T's Project VIP Investment, Customers to Benefit From Nation's Fastest and Most Reliable 4G LTE Network on the Latest Devices
Fairbanks, Alaska, November 06, 2013
AT&T* has turned on the nation’s fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network** in the Fairbanks metropolitan area, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. Watch here to see several of the benefits AT&T 4G LTE provides, including:
- Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G***. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
- Reliability. AT&T not only has the nation’s fastest 4G LTE network, but now also has the most reliable 4G LTE network. According to independent third-party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.
- Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets.
- Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency, or the processing time it takes to move data through a network, such as how long it takes to start downloading a webpage or file once you’ve sent the request. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
- More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
In the first half of 2013, AT&T invested nearly $45 million in its wireless and wired network in Alaska. The investment contributed to the launch of 4G LTE in Juneau in March. The 2013 year-to-date network investment builds on the more than $650 million that AT&T has invested in its Alaska wireless and wireline networks from 2010 through 2012. These investments help to ensure that Alaska residents continue to receive the best possible Internet experience over the AT&T network, whether at home, at work or on the go.
“AT&T is excited to bring the nation’s fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network to Fairbanks area today. Alaskans count on AT&T for wireless service, and we continue to see demand for mobile Internet skyrocket,” said Bob Bass, Alaska President, AT&T. “That is why AT&T invested nearly $45 million in its Alaska network during the first half of 2013. Our ongoing investment throughout this year directly contributes to today’s launch, and responds to what customers want from their mobile experience — more, faster, reliably, on the best devices.”
AT&T’s 4G Network
This launch is part of AT&T’s Project Velocity IP (VIP), a three-year investment plan announced last fall to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. Through this investment, AT&T is supporting its customers’ growing desire for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app and cloud-based services. As part of Project VIP, AT&T plans to add more than 10,000 macro cell sites nationwide by year-end 2015, as well as deploy more than 40,000 small cells and add more than 1,000 Distributed Antenna Systems to increase the density of its wireless network.
Even as AT&T continues to expand its 4G LTE coverage, customers can get 4G speeds outside of 4G LTE areas on our 4G HSPA+ network, unlike some competitors, where smartphone customers may fall back to slower 3G technologies when outside of LTE coverage.
Over the past five years, AT&T invested nearly $98 billion into its wireless and wireline networks across the country. Since 2008, AT&T has invested more capital into the U.S. economy than any other public company. In a July 2012 report, the Progressive Policy Institute ranked AT&T No. 1 on its list of U.S. “Investment Heroes.”