Media Kit: AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2010
AT&T Small Business Technology Poll
AT&T recently conducted an online survey of more than 2,000 small business owners nationwide to gain a better understanding of the importance of technology to their daily operations. Not surprisingly, nearly two-thirds (65 percent) of small business owners would find it challenging to survive without wireless technology.
- Approximately two-thirds (65%) of survey respondents plan on spending more or about the same on technology in 2010 as they did in 2009.
- Small business owners are eight times more likely to agree than disagree (65% vs. 8%, respectively) that wireless technology is critical to keeping their business competitive.
- More than 80 percent of survey respondents use smartphones, such as a Blackberry, to maintain business operations, including:
- Checking e-mail (78%)
- Viewing data (53%)
- Surfing the Web (43%)
- Updating social networking sites (18%)
- Almost eighty percent of small businesses surveyed have not cut back on their use of wireless technologies and expect to rely more on wireless tools over the next two years.
- Nearly eight in ten (79%) of respondents use WiFi hotspots to conduct business-related activities.
Local Survey Results
Not surprisingly, depending on where they're located, small businesses have varying opinions on the importance and use of wireless technology. Based on responses to three components — perceived importance of wireless, use of wireless technology and attitude on the impact of wireless technology — a Wireless Quotient, or "WiQ," was calculated for each of 10 markets surveyed. Each component was weighted in the rankings. For example, use of wireless technology was viewed as more important than the perceived importance of that technology. Rankings for the 10 markets follow:
The results are based on an online survey; of more than 2,000 small business owners and/or employees responsible for Information Technology (IT). About 1,000 surveys were completed by small businesses located throughout the United States (National data) and about 1,100 surveys were completed with small businesses located in 10 markets — 100 in each market (Market data).
Previous Study Results
According to the 2007 AT&T wireless survey of 1,000 small business owners, 42 percent of small business owners would find survival without wireless technology a major challenge. This trend will likely increase, with 55 percent of respondents indicating they expect to depend on wireless technology even more two years from now.
Other key findings included:
- Nearly two-thirds of respondents (61 percent) said they were likely to conduct business while away from the office.
- More than half (56 percent) believe it's important to have flexibility to mix work with personal business in their daily routine.
- Half (49 percent) said they are optimistic about wireless technology giving their business a competitive advantage.
Background and Highlights
- Small Business Survey Executive Summary
- Small Businesses Survey Highlights
- Small Business Survey Data
Survey findings indicate that perceptions about the importance of wireless technology, use of wireless technology and attitudes about its impact vary by geographic region. As a result, a Wireless Quotient, or “WiQ,” was calculated for each of the 10 participating markets. With number one being highest, the study’s geographic WiQ rankings are as follows:
Listen to AT&T's John Regan discuss results of the 2007 survey commissioned by AT&T indicating that wireless devices are becoming a matter of survival for many small businesses.
Small Business Owners Can Help Local Schools by Taking Pledge to Never Text and Drive
Dallas, Texas, October 16, 2013
Small Businesses Investing Big in Digital Marketing in 2013
Dallas, Texas, April 29, 2013
New AT&T Technology Poll Reveals 4G Smartphone Usage Up 70% Among Small Businesses, Tablets Deployed by more than Two-thirds of SMB's
Dallas, Texas, March 13, 2013
Hope For The Best; Plan For The Worst
Tokyo, Japan, April 18, 2012
New AT&T Website for Mobile Apps Enhances Access to Best Apps for Small Business
Dallas, Texas, April 11, 2012
AT&T Poll Says Small Business to Up 'Online Marketing Ante' in 2012, Recognizing Increased Importance in Generating Sales
Dallas, Texas, March 28, 2012
AT&T Poll Says Use of Tablets, 4G Devices, GPS Navigation Mobile Apps on the Rise Among Small Businesses
Dallas, Texas, February 15, 2012
AT&T Survey Shows Mobile Apps Integral to Small Business Operations, Remote Workers on the Rise, Facebook Use Growing Rapidly
Dallas, Texas, March 15, 2011
AT&T Office@Hand App Helps Small Businesses Easily Set Up, Manage, and Access Their Office-Based Phone Systems in the Cloud
Dallas, Texas, February 1, 2011
Small Businesses Can 'Take Their Offices on the Road' with New Broadband Data Bundle from AT&T
Dallas, Texas, August 5, 2010
Small Business Overview
Get the most out of your telecommunications provider. Mobility. Security. Reliability.