Media Kit: Sustainability
Sustainability for Business with AT&T's Charlene Lake
AT&T and EDF: Capturing the Energy Efficiency Opportunity with Free Air Cooling
Meet AT&T's Green Fleet
Mobile Phone RecyclingMobile phone recycling initiatives from AT&T provide an environmentally sustainable way for customers to dispose of used devices.
Cloud computing can reduce energy costs
AT&T Cooling TowersAT&T Cooling Towers
Environmental Sustainability Overview
Sustainability is a way of doing business that understands our company's impact on society, and the impact that social issues have on our business. How we integrate the concerns of our communities into our business strategies helps strengthen and create shared value among us. Sustainability can't be defined as a single program or token initiative. It's an explicit and defined aspect of who we are as a company and how we run our business. It's an obligation to operate better and smarter — and run our business in a way that makes sense for both our company and our world.
AT&T organizes our sustainability initiatives into three focus areas, which reflect the issues we feel embody our commitment.
- People and Community — People matter — to each other, to our communities and to our company. This has been one of our core beliefs for 136 years and always will be. Our workforce, our business and the communities that we serve are all stronger because of it.
- Environment — How do we connect a world of seven billion without inhibiting our natural environment's ability to support us? It is a daunting, exciting and critical challenge, and we are working hard toward meeting it every day.
- Technology — Technology is the path from an idea drawn on a napkin to an astronaut standing on the moon. What happens in between — innovation, investment and determination — is at the very core of who we are. AT&T creates realities to a world of endless possibilities.
Environmental resources are precious. We are committed to operating in a way that increases our efficiency and minimizes our impact on the environment, today and tomorrow.
Annualized savings from implementing 4,500 energy-saving projects
Annualized savings from 8,700 energy-saving projects implemented in 2010 and 2011
Alternative-fuel vehicles deployed, including 3,469 CNG vehicles and 1,617 hybrid electric vehicles, as part of our $565 million commitment to deploy approximately 15,000 alternative-fuel vehicles (AFVs) over a 10-year period through 2018
Gallons of unleaded gasoline that will be avoided in 2012 and each subsequent year that our 3,469 compressed natural gas vehicles are in service
Percent of plant-based materials in new plastic being transitioned into AT&T-branded accessories
Pounds of network scrap materials kept out of landfills through reusing, selling and recycling materials
Approximate number of cell phones collected for reuse or recycling
Pounds of batteries and accessories collected for reuse or recycling
Computers, monitors and servers collected for donation, reuse and recycling
Customers that opted for paperless billing through 2011
Learn more at www.att.com/environment.
Technology unleashes possibility. We are committed to investing in and deploying innovative technologies that empower people to improve our world. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) solutions — comprising hardware, software and broadband technologies — have the ability to enable people and businesses to make more energy-efficient choices and reduce environmental impact and costs, by:
- Moving work to people rather than people to work
- Connecting rather than traveling
- Managing business remotely and in real time
- Improving transportation and distribution systems
Learn more at www.att.com/communicationseconomy.
At AT&T, we're always looking ahead.
Sustainability and innovation are closely linked at AT&T, and this commitment takes two forms. First, we are constantly looking for opportunities to reduce our environmental impact, address societal problems, like health care, and encourage students to study subjects like science and engineering.
Second, we know that solving many of the future's problems will rely on the continuing evolution of ICT technology. It is for this reason that we are not only innovating to solve today's problems but also working with partners to solve the problems of tomorrow.
Learn more at www.att.com/innovation.
Business Sustainability Council
The AT&T Business Sustainability Advisory Council — established in 2009 — aims to better quantify the carbon benefits of our products and services — and to help businesses make smarter sustainability investments. The Council advises AT&T on identifying the best measurement tools, methodologies and technology-use that business customers can call on to better quantify the impact of ICT-enabled solutions for greenhouse gas reduction.
Press Release: AT&T Forms Business Sustainability Advisory Council
Online Buzz About AT&T Environmental Sustainability
- PRWeb, 09.17.12, Rocky Mountain Institute and AT&T Dig Deeper to Find Wide-Reaching Energy Savings
- Facilities Net, August 2012, AT&T Targets Cooling-Related Water Savings
- Forbes, 09.14.12, AT&T Sustainability Initiative: Changing the World by Recycling and Using Natural Gas
- MNN, Cooling towers 101: AT&T's pilot program cuts water usage
- NY Times, 09.19.12, AT&T Chief Speaks Out on Texting at the Wheel
- Forbes, 09.17.12, Leading Corporate Impact from the Bottom Up
- Mother Nature Network, 06.11.2012, The Connected Child: Using Technology to Rise Above Disabilities
- U.S. News, 05.29.2012, Teens Learn Texting While Driving From Parents
- Smart Planet, 05.22.2012, AT&T: Want to save water? Look at building cooling towers
- GreenBiz, 05.15.2012, Cool buildings, parched cities? EDF and AT&T target water savings
- USA Today, 05.13.2012, Parents urged to talk, make contract with their teen drivers
- GigaOM, 05.07.2012, AT&T launching smart home pilot in Atlanta and Dallas
- CNNMoney, 04.16.2012, AT&T's $350 million plan to groom new U.S. workers
- CNET, 03.19.2012, How education apps have become a priority for AT&T
- Mashable, 02.23.2012, How Earth-Friendly Is Your Smartphone? AT&T Wants to Know [VIDEO]
- CNET, 02.23.2012, AT&T goes green with home monitoring service and eco-ratings for cell phones
- St. Louis Post Dispatch, 02.08.2012, GM's Wentzville plant to build 1,200 CNG vans for AT&T
- Mother Nature Network, 01.25.2012, AT&T deploys 5,000th alternative fuel vehicle
- TIME, 01.19.2012, Homeless Science Whiz Gets State of the Union Invite, Scholarship from AT&T
- Smart Planet, 11.17.2011, AT&T eyes healthcare, autos in Internet of things race
- Environmental Leader, 10.20.2011, Climate Fellowship Finds 50% Savings in AT&T Cooling
- Forbes, 10.03.2011, Cloud Computing's Hidden 'Green' Benefits
- Environmental Leader, 9.13.2011, AT&T to Roll Out Plant-Based Packaging
- Greenbiz, 9.13.2011, AT&T Becomes Latest Company to Use Plastic Made from Sugarcane
- Reuters, 07.20.2011, Cloud Computing Can Save Big Firms Billions in Energy Costs
- Bloomberg, 07.12.2011, AT&T to Use Bloom Energy Fuel Cells at 11 California Facilities
- CNN Money, 07.12.2011, AT&T to install Bloom Energy fuel cells
- Triple Pundit, 6.13.2011, AT&T Exceeds Aggressive Energy Reduction Goal
- GreenBiz, 6.7.2011, AT&T's to Spend More with Suppliers That Track Carbon
- GreenBiz, 6.7.2011, What 'Where the Wild Things Are' Can Teach Us About CSR Reports
- GreenBiz, 2.17.2011, How Telecommuting Lets Workers Mobilize for Sustainability
- The White House website, 4.3.2011, President Barack Obama inspects an AT&T all-electric vehicle on display during a tour of the UPS facility in Landover, Md. (Office White House Photo by Pete Souza)
- Triple Pundit, 3.8.2011, AT&T's Energy Efficiency Projects Save $44 Million in 2010
- Tech Crunch, 3.3.2011, Energy Efficiency Measures Saved AT&T $44 Million In 2010
- GreenBiz, 2.17.2011, How Telecommuting Lets Workers Mobilize for Sustainability
Third Party Quotes
Related News Releases About AT&T Environmental Sustainability
AT&T Launches Corporate Accessibility Technology Office and Further Expands Commitment to Customers with Disabilities
Dallas, Texas, December 20, 2012
AT&T Customers Break World Record for Recycling Wireless Devices
Dallas, Texas, November 13, 2012
AT&T Becomes Bloom Energy's Largest Non-Utility Fuel Cell Customer
Dallas, Texas and Sunnyvale, California, October 2, 2012
Power Up Consumer Choice: Introducing New Line of USB Chargers Made with Post-consumer Plastics
Dallas, Texas, August 29, 2012
Answering the Sustainability Call: AT&T's Eco-rating System Now Appears In-store
Dallas, Texas, July 30, 2012
AT&T: Empowering Consumers Through Sustainability
Dallas, Texas, June 19, 2012
AT&T to Launch its First LTE Smartphone with Environmentally Conscious Features, the Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate
Dallas, Texas, June 5, 2012
AT&T Announces Quarter-Billion-Dollar Expansion Of Education Commitment
Washington, District of Columbia, March 19, 2012
GM Wentzville Plant to Build New CNG Vans for AT&T
St. Louis, Missouri, February 1, 2012
AT&T Honors Suppliers for Contributions in Sustainability
Dallas, Texas, January 24, 2012
AT&T Marches Toward 15,000 Cleaner-Fuel Fleet Vehicles with Milestone 5,000th Alternative-Fuel Deployment
Dallas, Texas, January 24, 2012
Causes.com and AT&T Launch New Social Engagement Platform to Encourage Activism
Dallas, Texas, December 15, 2011
AT&T Sees Opportunities to Cool Its Energy Costs with Help from Environmental Defense Fund's Climate Corps Program
Dallas, Texas, October 19, 2011
Voting Begins For The Next Apps To Power Your Future
Dallas, Texas, October 18, 2011
Samsung Evergreen™ Raises The Bar By Earning Platinum Certification From UL Environment
Dallas, Texas, September 14, 2011
AT&T To Use Plant Plastic In Accessory Packaging
Dallas, Texas, September 12, 2011
AT&T Named To Dow Jones Sustainability Index North America For Second Consecutive Year
Dallas, Texas, September 9, 2011
AT&T Deploys 4,000th Alternative-Fuel Vehicle and 3,000th Compressed Natural Gas Vehicle in its Corporate Fleet
Dallas, Texas, August 25, 2011
New AT&T Tool Helps Businesses Calculate Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Cost Savings
Dallas, Texas, August 16, 2011
Customers, App Developers Invited To Power Your Future
Dallas, Texas, August 2, 2011
AT&T to Power 11 California Sites with Bloom Energy Fuel Cells
Dallas, Texas and Sunnyvale, California, July 12, 2011
AT&T Investments in Sustainability Yield Results in 2010
Dallas, Texas, June 7, 2011
ACE Mentor Program of America and U.S. Green Building Council Announce E-Mentoring Program on Sustainable Design for High School Students
Stamford, Connecticut, May 25, 2011
AT&T to Add 5 Megawatts of Renewable Energy Capacity in 2011
Dallas, Texas, April 21, 2011
AT&T's Corporate Fleet Saved More Than One Million Gallons of Petroleum in 2010
Dallas, Texas, April 1, 2011
- CDP, AT&T and Accenture discuss the environmental and financial benefits companies can realize by deploying telepresence technology
- Randall L. Stephenson announces AT&T's commitment to alternative-fuel vehicles.
- Discover key facts about our alternative-fuel vehicles.
- Hear from Paul Dickinson, Executive Chairman, Carbon Disclosure Project, discussing CDP's Cloud research.
- Meet our green fleet. View images of our alternative-fuel vehicles.
- View installation of the solar power system at our San Ramon facility.
- AT&T collaborates with Greensburg Greentown. View images of the first model green town.
- AT&T Telecommuting Fact Sheet
- Our Recent Sustainability News
- AT&T's Fleet Commitment: Jobs Impact
- AT&T's Fleet Commitment: Emissions Reductions
- AT&T Connects People and Businesses to Sustainable Solutions
- SMART 2020: U.S. Report Addendum Overview
- See how the Carbon Impact Assessment Tool works
- View images of the Carbon Impact Assessment Tool in action
- View 'Cloud Computing Explained' graphic
- CDP Study 2010: The Telepresence Revolution
- CDP Study 2011: Cloud Computing – The IT Solution for the 21st Century
- Infographic: AT&T's Energy Scorecard Savings