AT&T Introduces U-verse in Columbus
Columbus Customers Have a New Choice in Television High Definition Programming and Other Compelling Features Make AT&T U-verse TV 'Cooler Than Cable'
Columbus, Ohio, December 17, 2007
A new world of communications and entertainment is now available to residents in the Columbus area. AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) has announced the launch of AT&T U-verseSM in parts of 51 local communities. AT&T is now taking orders for the service and will begin installing services for new customers on Dec. 24. AT&T will continue to increase U-verse availability throughout the area on an ongoing basis.
AT&T U-verse services are currently available in the following local areas: Bexley, Blendon Township, Bloom Township, Brice, Brown Township, Canal Winchester, Clinton Township, Columbus, Concord Township, Dublin, Etna Township, Franklin Township, Gahanna, Genoa Township, Grandview Heights, Grove City, Groveport, Hamilton Township, Harlem Township, Harrison Township, Hilliard, Jackson Township, Jefferson Township, Liberty Township, Lithopolis, Madison Township, Marble Cliff, Mifflin Township, Minerva Park, New Albany, Norwich Township, Orange Township, Pataskala, Perry Township, Pickerington, Plain Township, Pleasant Township, Powell, Prairie Township, Reynoldsburg, Riverlea, Scioto Township, Sharon Township, Shawnee Hills, Truro Township, Upper Arlington, Violet Township, Washington Township, Westerville, Whitehall and Worthington.
AT&T U-verse uses AT&T's new fiber-rich network to offer cutting-edge television and high speed Internet services. AT&T is the only national provider to offer a 100 percent Internet Protocol (IP)-based television service, making U-verse TV "cooler than cable" and one of the most robust and feature-rich services available today.
AT&T U-verse offers customers a combination of next-generation digital television — including access to more than 40 High Definition (HD) channels in most markets — and high speed Internet access. The award-winning AT&T U-verse TV includes cutting-edge features that are unmatched in the market, and the new U-verse enabled AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet builds on AT&T's position as the nation's largest broadband provider.
"We've seen a great response to AT&T U-verse in Cleveland and Akron, and we're excited for Columbus residents to see what makes U-verse TV cooler than cable," said Steve Mitchell, AT&T vice president and general manager for Ohio. "Now, more consumers have access to a video choice that delivers the content they want — such as Big Ten Network — with unmatched features and great value."
Where available, AT&T U-verse TV will offer Columbus customers:
- A compelling variety of TV packages with up to 320 channels to choose from, including digital music, local, movie and sports programming, as well as premium Spanish-language and international packages. Most programming packages include up to three HD-capable receivers — one with a digital video recorder (DVR), which allows customers to pause, rewind, replay and record live TV — at no extra charge. (Customers may add more receivers, up to a total of six, for $5 each a month.)
- More HD programming than the local cable providers. HD technology produces images more than twice as detailed as standard analog TV and offers rich, realistic video and 5.1 channel audio. AT&T U-verse TV offers customers access to a lineup of more than 40 HD channels in most markets, available in both 720p and 1080i formats, along with HD DVR capability. Access to HD service is $10 a month with any U-verse TV package.
- AT&T Yahoo! Web and Mobile Remote Access to DVR, which allows U-verse TV and Internet customers to schedule recordings from any Web-connected PC or compatible AT&T mobile phone (wireless service charges apply) by using their AT&T Yahoo! account. These features are unique to AT&T among local video providers.
- The ability to record up to four programs at once using a DVR (up to four standard definition programs or one HD and three standard definition programs). This capability is another exclusive feature unmatched in the marketplace.
- Built-in Picture-in-Picture functionality that allows subscribers to channel-surf on any television without leaving the program they're watching.
- A growing Video on Demand (VOD) library with one-touch access to movies and events.
- The ability to search for programs using the title or an actor's name to receive real-time, relevant results from upcoming linear or VOD programs.
- Easy-to-use parental controls to block live programs, recorded programs or videos by specific channel or ratings.
- Specially designed U-verse receivers, manufactured by Motorola, all of which are HD-capable and include universal remote controls that provide backlit buttons and one-touch access to VOD and other features.
AT&T plans to add more channels and interactive applications in the future.
Customers can choose from multiple combinations of TV and Internet packages to customize their entertainment experience. In addition to U100, U200 and the popular U300 and U400 packages, AT&T also offers U-family, a market-leading family-friendly programming option. Current AT&T U-verse TV offers start at $44 a month, depending on the selected programming and Internet packages (other monthly charges apply).
Now and until Jan. 31, 2008, new customers can join AT&T U-verse and receive their choice of free HD service for a year, a $100 cash-back redemption or one month of free TV service when they order U200, U300 or U400 by phone. Customers who order one of those packages online will receive a $100 cash-back redemption and one month of free TV service. AT&T is also offering new customers a 30-day money-back guarantee and professional installation.
Three packages of U-verse enabled AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet are featured for AT&T U-verse customers:
- Elite: Downstream speeds up to 6.0 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.
- Pro: Downstream speeds up to 3.0 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.
- Express: Downstream speeds up to 1.5 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.
All high speed Internet packages offered as part of AT&T U-verse include wireless home-networking at no additional charge, giving users the freedom to access online photos, streaming video, games and other information using a wireless-enabled laptop or other device. Subscribers also receive virtually unlimited e-mail storage and powerful anti-virus and anti-spam software.
The introduction of AT&T U-verse services in Columbus follows progressive legislation passed by the Ohio General Assembly and signed by Gov. Ted Strickland in June 2007. Ohio Am. Sub. Senate Bill 117 established statewide uniform standards that streamline the video provider authorization process and encourage competition and new investment. As a result of that legislation, AT&T announced plans in September to invest $500 million throughout Ohio for fiber network upgrades and further broadband deployment to, in part, support the delivery of AT&T U-verse services.
"We are thrilled to offer not only a new choice in home entertainment to Columbus consumers but one that delivers an unmatched experience by using cutting-edge technology," said Connie Browning, president of AT&T Ohio. "Thanks to the foresight of Governor Strickland and our state Legislature, we are excited to be able to offer a service that truly astounds those who experience it."
The deployment of next-generation video services, including AT&T U-verse TV and AT&T HomezoneSM, reflects AT&T's strategy to connect people with their world, everywhere they live and work, and do it better than anyone else. Through AT&T U-verse TV and the company's 100 percent IP-platform, AT&T will deliver integrated services to the three screens that consumers value most: the TV, the PC and the wireless phone.
Customers seeking additional information on AT&T U-verse — or to find out if it's available in their area — can visit uverse.att.com. They also may call 800-ATT-2020 or visit one of the following AT&T retail locations:
- 1649 Georgesville Square, Columbus
- 1593 N. High St., Columbus
- 2696 S. Hamilton Road, Columbus
- 3854 Morse Road, Columbus
- 3952 Morse Crossing Road, Columbus
- 1495 Polaris Parkway, Columbus
- 788 Bethel Road, Columbus
- 5879 Chantry Drive, Columbus
- 7497 Sawmill Road, Dublin
- 5043 Tuttle Crossing Blvd., Dublin
- 1165 N. Hamilton Road, Gahanna
Note: This AT&T release and other news announcements are available as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss.
|FIND MORE INFORMATION ONLINE|
|Related Media Kits:||Related Fact Sheets:|
|Related News Releases:||Web Sites:|
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates, AT&T operating companies, are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. Among their offerings are the world's most advanced IP-based business communications services and the nation's leading wireless, high speed Internet access and voice services. In domestic markets, AT&T is known for the directory publishing and advertising sales leadership of its Yellow Pages and YELLOWPAGES.COM organizations, and the AT&T brand is licensed to innovators in such fields as communications equipment. As part of its three-screen integration strategy, AT&T is expanding its TV entertainment offerings. Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at www.att.com.
AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet provided by AT&T Internet Services with customized content, services, and applications from Yahoo! Inc. Yahoo!, the Yahoo! logos and other product and service names are the trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc.
IMPORTANT OFFER INFORMATION: Limited time offers; Advertised services not available in all areas; Residential customers only; Prices, programming, and offers subject to change; High speed Internet speed references based on synch rates; Actual speed achieved depends on customer location, line condition, and use of other U-verse services; Credit and other restrictions apply; Channel counts include optional channels available in plan; Wireless networking may require adapter purchased separately; Fiber-optics apply to part or all of the network depending on your location. Other Charges: Taxes, city video cost recovery fees, and other fees extra; Equipment rental fees included in monthly service charges. Installation Offer: Professional installation only for new customers ordering TV or TV and Internet before 2/1/08. U200/U300/U400 Offers require new U200, U300, or U400 subscription; Online orders eligible for Free Mo. of Service and $100 Cash Back only. Free 12 Mos. HD requires HD Technology subscription; no credits if cancelled prior to 12 mos.; after 12 mos. std. charges apply. Free Mo. of Service: Credit for 1 mo. std. monthly charge for qualifying TV plan only; Video on Demand, Pay Per View, and other charges not included. $100 Cash Back Offer: Qualifying service package must be active & in good standing at time of redemption processing; Check will be mailed approx. 4-6 weeks after receipt of properly completed and timely submitted redemption; 1 check per service address; See additional details on redemption letter; Checks expire 60 days from issue date. Money-Back Guarantee Offer: New subscribers who cancel all AT&T U-verse services w/in 30 days of activation; Includes paid installation & std. package charges; Excludes Video on Demand, Pay Per View, & non-returned equipment charges. All Promotional Offers: Expire 1/31/08.
© 2007 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.