Northeastern Illinois Launches into AT&T U-verse
Northeastern Illinois Customers Gain a New Choice for Television;
Largest AT&T U-verse Market Launch to Date
AT&T Advanced TV Delivers More High Definition Channels, More Features and More Value to Customers Across Its Footprint
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, January 28, 2008
Northeastern Illinois residents now have a new and better choice for their television and communications services. AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced the launch of AT&T U-verseSM TV, which strengthens the AT&T Advanced TV portfolio in northeastern Illinois. AT&T U-verse offers cutting-edge television and high speed Internet services delivered over the company's upgraded fiber-rich network. The northeastern Illinois launch marks the largest U-verse rollout to date in any AT&T market.
Local customers looking for an alternative to cable can turn to AT&T Advanced TV services, which includes AT&T U-verse TV, AT&T HomezoneSM service, and AT&T | DISH Network satellite service. AT&T Advanced TV products are available to customers across the AT&T footprint and offer subscribers all-digital programming, more High Definition (HD) channels than cable and advanced features and control.
"We're ready to show the state of Illinois why AT&T U-verse TV really is cooler than cable. With AT&T Advanced TV, consumers across northeastern Illinois have a video choice that gives them unmatched features, great value, and the content they want — like Big Ten Network," said Steve Mitchell, AT&T vice president and general manager for Illinois. "We couldn't be more proud that this is the largest market launch so far for U-verse TV. It shows how committed we are to bringing more choice, more innovation and more value to our Advanced TV customers."
Customers can currently order AT&T U-verse services in parts of more than 175 local communities, including Bellwood, Buffalo Grove, Crystal Lake, Dolton, Elmhurst, Harvey, Hoffman Estates, Melrose Park, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, River Grove, St. Charles, Waukegan and others. AT&T will make U-verse service available in more homes throughout the area on an ongoing basis.
AT&T is the only national service provider to offer a 100 percent Internet Protocol (IP)-based television service. IP technology helps make U-verse TV one of the most dynamic and feature-rich services available today, with advanced capabilities customers don't get from other providers and access to more than 40 HD channels in most markets.
Where available, local AT&T U-verse TV customers can enjoy numerous benefits, including:
- An attractive selection of TV packages. U-verse customers have a variety of subscription options, which feature up to 320 channels, including digital music, local, movie and sports programming, as well as premium Spanish-language and international packages. With most programming packages, U-verse TV customers receive up to three HD-capable receivers — one with an HD digital video recorder (DVR) — at no extra charge. (Customers can add more receivers, up to a total of six, for $5 each a month.)
- More HD channels than the local cable providers. Local AT&T U-verse TV customers can access a lineup of more than 40 HD channels. U-verse TV supports both 720p and 1080i formats. Access to HD service is $10 a month with any U-verse TV package.
- The ability to set their DVR from any location. With AT&T Yahoo! Web and Mobile Remote Access to DVR, U-verse TV and Internet customers can schedule recordings from any Web-connected PC or compatible AT&T mobile phone (wireless service charges apply) by using their AT&T Yahoo! account. These features are also available with AT&T Homezone.
- The ability to record up to four programs at once using a DVR (up to four standard definition programs or one HD and three standard definition programs) — another feature exclusive to AT&T U-verse TV.
- AT&T U-bar, which brings customizable weather, stock, sports and traffic information to the U-verse TV screen, without interrupting the current program. Customers who also subscribe to AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet can personalize the U-bar from their AT&T Yahoo! home page to display weather at specific locations, their personal stock portfolio and scores for their favorite sports teams.
- YELLOWPAGES.COM TV, which lets U-verse TV customers easily search for local businesses and other information via their TV screen.
- AT&T Yahoo! Games, so U-verse TV customers can now play their favorite online games — including Sudoku, Solitaire, JT's Blocks, Mah-jongg Tiles and Chess — on the TV screen.
- Built-in Picture-in-Picture, which lets U-verse TV customers channel-surf on any television without leaving the program they're watching.
- A growing Video on Demand (VOD) library with one-touch access to movies and events.
- Advanced search to find upcoming linear or VOD programs using the title or an actor's name.
- Easy-to-use parental controls to block live programs, recorded programs or videos by a specific channel or rating.
- Specially designed U-verse receivers. All U-verse receivers are HD-capable and include universal remote controls with backlit buttons and one-touch access to VOD, recorded TV and other popular U-verse TV features.
AT&T plans to continue evolving U-verse services by adding more channels and capabilities.
Customers can customize their entertainment experience with multiple combinations of TV and Internet packages. U-verse TV offers five programming packages — U100, U200, the popular U300 and U400 packages, and U-family, a market-leading family-friendly programming option. Current AT&T U-verse TV pricing starts at $44 a month, depending on the selected programming package (other monthly charges apply).
Professional installation is included for new U-verse TV customers. Customers who order a qualifying programming package by phone before Jan. 31, 2008, can receive their choice of free HD service for a year, a $100 cash-back redemption or a free month of the U200, U300 or U400 package. Customers who order one of those packages online will receive a $100 cash-back redemption and a free month of a qualifying programming package.
AT&T U-verse customers can also choose from three different packages of U-verse enabled AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet to meet their bandwidth needs:
- Elite: Downstream speeds up to 6.0 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.
- Pro: Downstream speeds up to 3.0 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.
- Express: Downstream speeds up to 1.5 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.
AT&T also plans to offer a new tier exclusively for U-verse customers, AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Max — with downstream speeds up to 10 Mbps and upstream speeds up to 1.5 Mbps — in February 2008.
All AT&T U-verse high speed Internet packages include wireless home-networking at no extra cost, giving customers the freedom to access online photos, streaming video, games and other information from a wireless-enabled laptop or other device. Subscribers also receive virtually unlimited e-mail storage and powerful anti-virus and anti-spam software.
AT&T is introducing U-verse services in Illinois thanks to legislation supported by a strong, bipartisan coalition in both chambers of the General Assembly and Attorney General Lisa Madigan. The Cable and Video Competition Law, signed by Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich, provides an environment that encourages new video providers such as AT&T to invest in Illinois to compete against incumbent cable providers.
"For far too long, a lack of options for television services have cost consumers dearly, "said state Sen. James Clayborne. "I am happy that this law that I sponsored is already delivering an unmatched video product using breakthrough technology. By putting the consumer first, we are also ensuring better jobs across Illinois."
"Today is a great victory for both Illinois consumers and the Illinois economy," said state Rep. James Brosnahan. "This is going to finally give customers more video choices, improved service and competitive prices, while spurring hundreds of millions of dollars in investment and creating new Illinois jobs. I was proud to help draft and sponsor this important legislation."
"This is such an exciting day for both AT&T and all of our hardworking members throughout the state. When companies compete, the consumers win," said Ron Kastner, president, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 21. "By delivering this state-of-the-art video product to as many people as quickly as possible, we are also providing an important economic boost and more good jobs for our working families."
AT&T is deploying next-generation Advanced TV services, including AT&T U-verse TV and AT&T Homezone, to connect people with their world, everywhere they live and work, and do it better than anyone else. Through AT&T U-verse and the company's 100 percent IP platform, consumers will benefit from integrated AT&T services across the three screens they value most: the TV, the PC and the wireless phone.
Customers who want additional information on AT&T U-verse — or to find out if it's available in their area — can visit http://uverse.att.com. They can also call 800-ATT-2020 or visit one of the following AT&T retail locations:
- Oakbrook Terrace, 17W504 W. 22nd St.
- Gurnee, 7075 Grand Ave.
Note: This AT&T release and other news announcements are available as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss.
|FIND MORE INFORMATION ONLINE|
|Related Media Kits:||Related Fact Sheets:|
|Related News Releases:||Web Sites:|
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates, AT&T operating companies, are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. Among their offerings are the world's most advanced IP-based business communications services and the nation's leading wireless, high speed Internet access and voice services. In domestic markets, AT&T is known for the directory publishing and advertising sales leadership of its Yellow Pages and YELLOWPAGES.COM organizations, and the AT&T brand is licensed to innovators in such fields as communications equipment. As part of its three-screen integration strategy, AT&T is expanding its TV entertainment offerings. Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at www.att.com.
AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet provided by AT&T Internet Services with customized content, services, and applications from Yahoo! Inc. Yahoo!, the Yahoo! logos and other product and service names are the trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc.
IMPORTANT OFFER INFORMATION: All promotional offers expire 1/31/08. Service not available in all areas; Residential customers only; Prices, programming, and offers subject to change without notice; High speed Internet speed references based on synch rates; Actual speed achieved depends on customer location, line condition, and use of other U-verse services; Credit and other restrictions apply; Channel counts include optional channels available in plan; Wireless networking may require adapter purchased separately; Fiber-optics apply to part or all of the network depending on your location. Other Charges: Taxes, city video cost recovery fees, and other fees extra; Equipment rental fees included in monthly service charges. Installation Offer: Professional installation only for new customers ordering TV or TV and Internet before 2/1/08. U200/U300/U400 Offers require new U200, U300, or U400 subscription; Online orders eligible for Free Mo. of Service and $100 Cash Back only. Free 12 Mos. HD requires HD Technology subscription; no credits if cancelled prior to 12 mos.; after 12 mos. std. charges apply. Free Mo. of Service: Credit for 1 mo. std. monthly charge for qualifying TV plan only; Video on Demand, Pay Per View, and other charges not included. $100 Cash Back Offer: Qualifying service package must be active & in good standing at time of redemption processing; Check will be mailed approx. 4-6 weeks after receipt of properly completed and timely submitted redemption; 1 check per service address; See additional details on redemption letter; Checks expire 60 days from issue date.
© 2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.