AT&T U-verse TV Reaches 1 Million Subscriber Milestone
Strong Customer Demand, Industry Accolades for Quality Service Affirm Company's IP Technology Strategy
Dallas, Texas, December 16, 2008
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced that AT&T U-verseSM TV has reached its 1 millionth customer. The subscriber milestone comes less than two and a half years after AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets introduced the only 100-percent Internet Protocol (IP) TV service offered by a national service provider.
IP technology enables state of the art features and functionality, and integration across TV, broadband, wireless and home phone services. Since its market introduction, U-verse TV has received industry acclaim for customer satisfaction, service excellence and innovation. AT&T U-verse TV ranked "Highest in Residential Television Service Satisfaction in the North Central, South, and West Regions," according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Residential Television Service Provider Satisfaction StudySM. Industry analyst group Frost & Sullivan named AT&T U-verse the 2009 North American Consumer Communications Service Product of the Year, and U-verse Total Home DVR was recognized with a 2008 TelcoTV Vision Award for Service Provider Innovation.
AT&T U-verse TV has been deployed in 79 major markets across 16 states, where policy makers have enacted forward-looking policy through legislation, municipal support and other decisions to encourage investment and competition by streamlining the process for providers to enter the video marketplace. The deployment of AT&T U-verse is rapidly introducing competitive choice and next-generation services to more consumers.
"Reaching this milestone, in this short time period, further validates our video strategy and shows that we're providing customers with a better choice and a better experience than cable," said Ralph de la Vega, chief executive officer of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "We're using our all-IP U-verse platform and our wireless assets to give customers what they want, in a way that no one else can."
AT&T U-verse customers enjoy quadruple-play integration, enhanced features and greater value, all made possible by IP technology. IP technology allows AT&T U-verse to easily and constantly evolve with new features and services to match consumer needs. In 2008, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets introduced several U-verse TV enhancements to its subscriber base that helped customer growth and satisfaction. The list of differentiating U-verse TV features includes:
- Total Home DVR, which lets you watch recorded High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition shows from a single DVR on any connected TV in the home.
- An extensive lineup, including more than 85 HD channels and several international channels.
- The ability to record up to four programs at once and schedule recordings from a PC or wireless device.
- YELLOWPAGES.COM TV, for fast and easy searches to find local businesses and other information via your TV screen.
- AT&T U-bar, which brings customizable weather, stock, sports and traffic information to the U-verse TV screen, without interrupting the current program.
- AT&T Online Photos from Flickr, which allows AT&T High Speed Internet customers to browse the photos you've uploaded to flickr.com and watch slide shows on your U-verse TV screen from the comfort of your couch.
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football, which allows you to track the progress of your fantasy team — including current team matchups and league standings — directly from your TV screen through the AT&T U-bar.
- AT&T Yahoo! Games, so you can play your favorite online games — including Sudoku, Solitaire, JT's Blocks, Mah-jongg Tiles and Chess — on the TV screen.
- Built-in Picture-in-Picture, which lets you channel-surf on any television without leaving the program you're watching.
- Fast channel changing, reducing the delay experienced with other digital video services.
- An expanded Video On Demand (VOD) library, including HD VOD titles and more than 1,000 full-length movies.
- The ability to watch and record up to two HD programs at once.
AT&T U-verse bundles also expanded in 2008 with the introduction and ongoing rollout of AT&T U-verse Voice, bringing consumers a next-generation digital voice service with unique integrated features, and with the launch of two higher speed Internet packages, AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max (downstream speeds up to 10 Mbps) and Max 18 (downstream speeds up to 18 Mbps).
"We will continue evolving AT&T U-verse, expanding availability and adding more applications and integrated features that improve what our customers can do not only with their TV, but across the three screens," said de la Vega.
For additional information on AT&T U-verse — or to find out if it's available in your area — visit http://uverse.att.com, call 800-ATT-2020 or visit a local AT&T retail location.
|FIND MORE INFORMATION ONLINE|
|Web Sites:||Related Media Kits:|
|Related News Releases:||Related Fact Sheets:|
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates, AT&T operating companies, are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. Among their offerings are the world's most advanced IP-based business communications services and the nation's leading wireless, high speed Internet access and voice services. In domestic markets, AT&T is known for the directory publishing and advertising sales leadership of its Yellow Pages and YELLOWPAGES.COM organizations, and the AT&T brand is licensed to innovators in such fields as communications equipment. As part of its three-screen integration strategy, AT&T is expanding its TV entertainment offerings. In 2008, AT&T again ranked No. 1 on Fortune magazine's World's Most Admired Telecommunications Company list and No. 1 on America's Most Admired Telecommunications Company list. Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at www.att.com.
© 2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners. Yahoo!, the Yahoo! logos and other product and service names are the trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc.
Note: This AT&T news release and other announcements are available as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss.