The DIRECTV experience
Get our latest tech for the ultimate TV experience.
Watch TV your way
From the couch to the coffee shop, stream live and on-demand entertainment across all your favorite screens.
GENIE HD DVR
TV on your own terms
With one Genie HD DVR, the whole family can enjoy their favorite shows—live or recorded—in any room, at the same time. Record up to 5 shows at once to watch later, so there's less fighting and more watching.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the DIRECTV Genie® HD DVR? How do I get it?What is DIRECTV Genie? That's simple. DIRECTV Genie, available only from DIRECTV, is a state-of-the-art HD DVR that lets you enjoy full HD DVR service in every room of your home - without needing a separate receiver DVR in every room. In the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR setup, only one of your TVs is directly connected to the DIRECTV Genie DVR, and while each of your additional TVs is connected to the DIRECTV Genie DVR using with either a Genie Mini or Wireless Genie Mini. These are small, convenient boxes that are easy to hide behind your TVs. You can enjoy DIRECTV service and full HD DVR functionality on every one of your TVs in this setup. Other features of DIRECTV Genie include: The ability to record any five shows at the same time, all in HD. So That means no more recording conflicts. A full terabyte of recording capacity, so you don't have to keep deleting recorded shows you want to keep in order to make room for new ones. Genie Recommends, a special feature that recommends shows based on what you already watch and even records them for you, so you can watch them instantly. RVU technology, which allows RVU-enabled TVs to be connected to the DIRECTV Genie DVR as additional TVs in your setup without a Genie Mini box. How to get the DIRECTV Genie DVR: New Customers: To get a DIRECTV Genie HD DVR setup with your DIRECTV service, just select a Genie HD DVR and one Genie Mini for each additional TV when you place your DIRECTV order. Existing Customers: Please call 1-800-531-5000.
- How long will it take to get my DIRECTV equipment? Is there a fee?Your installer will deliver your equipment on the scheduled installation date. Installation dates are generally available between 24 and 72 hours of when you place your order. Professional installation is included at no extra cost in most DIRECTV orders.
- Do I need additional equipment to connect more than one TV to a Genie® HD DVR? With Whole-Home HD DVR setup, how many TVs can be watched at the same time?In a Genie® Whole-Home HD DVR setup, you and your family can watch live or recorded programming on four separate TVs at the same time.
You need one Genie Mini or Wireless Genie Mini for each additional TV. These devices are small, convenient, easy-to-hide boxes that serve as remote connections to the Genie HD DVR receiver. So, in a Genie Whole-Home HD DVR setup, one of your TVs is directly connected to the Genie HD DVR and each of your additional TVs is connected to the Genie HD DVR using a Genie Mini. You'll enjoy DIRECTV service and full HD DVR functionality on every one of your connected TVs.
The Genie HD DVR also features built-in RVU technology, which allows DIRECTV Ready TVs to be connected to the Genie HD DVR as additional TVs in your setup without a Genie Mini.
- How do I find and record my favorite sports with Genie®?Find sports with ease using the new Sports feature on Genie. It's an enhanced on-screen guide that aggregates all sport listings up to 14 days in advance, all in one convenient location. You can even "Season Record" your favorite team so you catch their games year after year. Plus, it's customizable so you can keep the events and teams you're interested in at the top. To access the Sports feature, select MENU on your remote, then navigate to Sports with your arrow keys, and hit SELECT.
- Can I stream DIRECTV movies and shows on my laptop or mobile device? How do I subscribe?You don't need a separate subscription to stream your favorite DIRECTV movies and shows. Now you can stream on just about any compatible Internet-connected mobile device you own on the DIRECTV app or directv.com with any DIRECTV package. This includes the latest blockbusters and hottest shows On Demand, and even LIVE TV channels. In addition, you can download your DVR recordings to your devices at home and watch offline anywhere.
If the show is from a network included in your programming package, you can enjoy it at no extra charge. Available channels may also be based on your location, and not all channels are available to stream out of home. However, you'll find that some titles, like the latest On Demand movie releases, do require additional payment.
To stream your favorite movies and shows on the DIRECTV app or directv.com requires a subscription; this service is available at no extra charge to all DIRECTV customers.