Unclaimed Checks — Do We Have Your Money?

AT&T is reaching out to vendors and customers to whom it has issued checks that have not been cashed. This outreach includes sending a letter to the payee's last known address, which is often the address where the original payment was sent. State laws generally require that after attempting to contact the owners via these "due diligence" letters, all checks that remain un-cashed for set periods of time must be remitted to the state in which they were sent in accordance with the state's unclaimed property laws.

Sample Letters:

To claim these funds, please complete the information requested on the letter that you received, make a copy to keep for your records and mail the original to the address listed on the letter. The form must be completed and returned within 30 days of the date of the letter. This deadline is based on state reporting requirements and therefore we urge you to comply within this timeframe. Because we may not be able to process claims that are untimely or incomplete before we are required to escheat the money to the state, we encourage you to submit your claim as soon as possible. If we do not receive a timely completed claim from you, your funds will escheat and you will no longer be able to obtain these funds from AT&T. To claim escheated money you will need to submit a claim with the state that received the funds.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is an unclaimed fund or property?

As used herein, unclaimed property means checks that are not cashed for a certain number of years. The process of sending the property to the state when these checks are not cashed is called 'escheatment.'

Why am I just receiving notification?  

State laws generally require that before we send unclaimed funds to the state, we first attempt to locate and notify the payee of the check to provide the payee the opportunity to establish rightful ownership to the funds.

Why is my written response required?

To prevent the check from being escheated (remitted to the state). After contacting the issuer of the check (AT&T), the owner must complete the requested information and attach the required documentation. Telephone or fax inquiries will not be accepted. To ensure that this property is not remitted to the state, responses must be received in writing at the address listed in the letter within 30 days of the date of the letter.

... but I never received the check(s)

It is possible that the original check was not cashed because it was lost in the mail, it had an incorrect address, or it was otherwise misplaced. This notification is the AT&T's final attempt to locate the owner and deliver these funds before the funds are delivered to the state.

I've received the form and I also have the check that is 180+ days. What do I need to do?

Fill out the form — selecting the 4th option, the check was not cashed and needs to be replaced. Return the completed form along with the outstanding check to the PO Box provided on the form.

What happens if I do nothing and don't send the form back in?

The money will be remitted to the State as required by law. You will then be responsible for claiming your Unclaimed Property from the state and will not be able to claim the money from AT&T.

What is this check in regard to?

Due to the age of the original check, business and system mergers, specific information relating to the nature of the check is not readily available. A majority of unclaimed checks have been issued on systems that have now been retired, and obtaining detailed information is not possible. We regret any inconvenience this may cause in assisting you with additional payment information.

The Property Type says Winback or Certificate. What does that mean?

It was an incentive offered to win you back as a valued customer.

How long will it take me to receive my new check?

Approximately 10 to 12 weeks. Due to the large volume of letters it may take up to 12 weeks to process your request.

How do I complete the form if my name changed?

If your name has changed, please send evidence documenting the name change. Examples include, but are not limited to: Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or Adoption records. Please note for Payroll checks we can only reissue in the original name. Documentation can not be returned.

The form received in the mail has our correct address, but the name is not me or our business?

Please return the form to us with the third option marked to indicate that you are not the named payee and are not entitled to the check. We will investigate the account and get the form sent to the correct customer at the correct address.

The payee is a business. How do I complete the form?

Please provide your name and title when responding on behalf of your provider or business. If you are requesting an address change, please provide documentation, such as letterhead or a business card attached to this completed form. If you are requesting a business name change please provide a W-9 form. Documentation can not be returned.

I am filling out the form and I don't know what the FEIN # is?

FEIN # is only to be filled out if you are a business. It represents a Federal Tax ID # issued to all businesses.

The payee has since deceased. What do I do?

You'll need to complete the form you received in the mail, returning it to us with Legal documentation proving you are the Executor or POA or legal documents showing you are the legal heir. We also need a copy of the death certificate.

  • AT&T cannot legally change the name on a check without legal documentation.
  • Death Certificate Only — reissue to "Estate of."
  • Any legal documentation showing the claimer is the appropriate heir then we can change the name.
  • No legal documentation (No Will, No Estate, No Probate).
    1. Contact an attorney to provide legal documents proving the claimer is the appropriate heir
    2. Contact the probate court or similar local court that handles estate matters to provide legal documents proving the claimer is the appropriate heir.
    3. Claimer can wait until the funds are submitted to the state and then request a claim form from the state to try and claim the money.

How can I be assured that AT&T has received my written request?

The best way to ensure AT&T has received your written request is to send it via certified mail to the address in the letter.