AT&T Invests $25 Million in Massachusetts Wireless and Wireline Networks in First Half of 2013
Investments Strengthen Nation’s Fastest and Most Reliable 4G LTE Network, Largest 4G Network. Project Velocity IP Investments Result in New Cell Sites, Small Cells and Distributed Antenna Systems to Enhance Network Performance Across Massachusetts
Boston, Massachusetts, August 14, 2013
Blazing speeds. Great reliability. Broad coverage. Excellent overall performance. That’s what Massachusetts residents want from their mobile Internet, and it’s exactly what AT&T* is delivering with an array of network upgrades completed in the first half of 2013.
In the first half of 2013, AT&T invested more than $90 million in its wireless and wired networks in Massachusetts. The investments included deployment of new macro cell sites, small cells and Distributed Antenna Systems across the state as a part of AT&T’s Project Velocity IP, a three-year investment plan announced last fall to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. The company also expanded and enhanced its 4G LTE network, which provides ultra-fast mobile Internet speeds, and deployed new Wi-Fi hot spots.
These investments help to ensure that Massachusetts residents continue to receive the best possible experience over the AT&T network, whether at home, at work or on the go. The great performance of AT&T’s 4G LTE network, now the nation’s fastest and most reliable, continues to be validated:
- AT&T now has the most reliable 4G LTE network. According to independent third-party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.**
- Meanwhile, our 4G LTE service was recognized as having faster average download and upload speeds than any of our competitors in PCWorld/TechHive’s most recent 20-market speed tests – the second consecutive year that AT&T has ranked 1st overall. PCWorld/TechHive also ranked AT&T’s as the fastest combination of 3G and 4G services in the 20 cities it tested.***
- And AT&T was named America’s fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine’s 2013 Fastest Mobile Networks 30-market study – sweeping the top rankings in all six U.S. regions from coast to coast: Northeast, Southeast, North-Central, South-Central, Northwest and Southwest.****
“Fast, reliable connectivity is essential to both quality of life and competitiveness at work,” said Patricia Jacobs, president, AT&T New England. “No one understands that better than we do, and no one is doing more than AT&T to mobilize a world that works for people in Massachusetts. With initiatives like Project Velocity IP, we’re working to ensure that Massachusetts consumers and businesses remain at the leading edge of broadband services.”
In addition, RootMetrics® has awarded AT&T 1st or tied for 1st for strongest overall call, text, and data performance in 66 of 125 national markets – including 3 of 3 in Massachusetts, where AT&T was 1st in Boston, Springfield and Worcester – from January through June this year.*****
Highlights of network upgrades completed so far this year in Massachusetts include:
- Launch of AT&T’s 4G LTE network on Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard
- Launch of AT&T Digital Life in the Boston area
- Expansion of AT&T’s 4G LTE network to more areas of New Bedford and Springfield
The 2013 year-to-date network investment builds on the nearly $550 million that AT&T has invested in its Massachusetts wireless and wired networks from 2010 through 2012.
AT&T 4G LTE is now available in multiple areas of the state, including Boston, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, Springfield and Worcester. Nationwide, more than 225 million Americans have access to AT&T 4G LTE service. By year-end 2013, AT&T expects to cover nearly 270 million people and 400 markets with its 4G LTE network.
For more information about AT&T’s coverage in Massachusetts or anywhere in the United States, consumers can visit the AT&T Coverage Viewer. For updates on the AT&T wireless network, please visit the AT&T network news page.