AT&T Investing More Than $220 Million in Florida Wireless Network This Year to Expand Coverage
Company Plans to Add More Than 70 New Cell Sites in the Sunshine State in 2008; More Than $1 Billion Invested in Florida Wireless Network Since 2005
Miami, Florida, February 27, 2008
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T), the world's largest communications company, announced today an investment of more than $220 million in the Florida wireless network in 2008 to expand coverage. This brings AT&T's statewide investment since 2005 to more than $1 billion.
AT&T plans to add more than 70 new cell sites in Florida this year and roll out its third-generation (3G) high speed wireless broadband service in Sarasota, Bradenton, Fort Myers, Naples and Vero Beach by the end of 2008. In addition, AT&T's existing 3G footprint in Orlando, Lakeland and Tampa will be expanded this year. AT&T also provides 3G service in the Florida Keys, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, Melbourne, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville and Tallahassee.
"Delivering the best wireless experience starts with the network," said Rudy Hermond, vice president and general manager for AT&T's wireless operations in Central, West and North Florida. "The AT&T wireless network delivers the ideal combination of unmatched voice and data coverage, widespread high speed data availability, unmatched flexibility, top-quality service and unsurpassed reliability."
The AT&T 3G wireless network delivers typical download speeds ranging from 600 to 1,400 kilobits per second (Kbps), as well as faster upload speeds ranging from 500 to 800 Kbps. The high speed network makes it possible for customers to quickly access feature-rich wireless content on their 3G handsets, including videos, games, pictures and the latest music, entertainment, news and weather, through MEdiaNet, the company's mobile Internet portal. AT&T 3G customers also can take advantage of Video Share, a first-of-its-kind technology in the U.S. that allows users to share live video during a wireless call. Additionally, the AT&T 3G network offers AT&T LaptopConnect mobile customers faster speeds for their laptops, with the ability to send and receive large files or access the Internet, their company's intranet or corporate e-mail from anywhere within the 3G network.
AT&T will expand its wireless 3G network in the U.S. this year to more than 80 additional cities. The planned expansion is expected to deliver AT&T 3G services to nearly 350 leading U.S. markets by the end of 2008, including all of the top 100 U.S. cities. The 3G initiative will include the roll out of more than 1,500 additional cell sites nationwide.
"Our business is about connecting people with their world," said Rich Guidotti, vice president and general manager for AT&T's South Florida wireless operations. "With the rollout of this technology, we are expanding the scope and the speed of our 3G capabilities and allowing our customers to do more with their wireless devices, wherever they may be."
Some of the areas that will benefit from the 70-plus cell sites AT&T plans to build this year include:
- Southwest Pembroke Pines (south of Pines Boulevard)
- Pembroke Pines (Northwest Johnston Street area)
- The Breakers Hotel & Resort in Palm Beach
- Weston (Saddle Club Road, Arvida Parkway and Indian Trace areas)
- Coral City (Northwest 37th Avenue area)
- Miami (west of Miami International Airport, Northwest 25th Street area)
- White City (Indian River Estates area)
- Palm City (Southwest 34th Terrace area)
- Islamorada (Lower Matecumbe Key)
- Key West (Kennedy Drive area)
- West Tampa
- Eagles subdivision in northwestern Hillsborough County
- Summerfield Crossing in Hillsborough County
- St. Petersburg (Coquina Key and surrounding neighborhoods)
- Indian Rocks Beach in Pinellas County
- Ridgecrest Park area in Pinellas County
- East of Tarpon Springs (Pinellas County)
- Sarasota (Bee Ridge area)
- Fort Myers (Gateway area)
- Beverly Hills
- Spring Hill
- Weeki Wachee
- West-central Pasco County
- Port Richey (Magnolia Valley Golf Club area)
- Meadowpoint community in Pasco County
- New Tampa
- Downtown Orlando
- Orlando (south of downtown area)
- Waterford Lakes community (Orange County)
- North Windermere
- Winter Springs (Tuskawilla Golf Club area in Seminole County)
- Bonneville community (Orange County)
- East Colonial/Alafaya Trail area (Orange County)
- Lady Lake
- The Villages
- Downtown Lakeland
- Daytona Beach (near the intersection of I-95 and I-4)
- Downtown Ocala
- Silver Springs
- Northern Jacksonville (near I-295 and Duval Road)
- Southern Jacksonville (near I-95 and Old St. Augustine Road/Bayard area)
- Chimney Lakes area of Jacksonville
- Doctor's Lake area, south of Orange Park in Jacksonville
- Riverside area in downtown Jacksonville
- St. Johns Town Center Mall in Jacksonville
- Southern end of Southside Boulevard in Jacksonville
- Cecil Field Naval Air Station in Jacksonville
- Italia (Nassau County)
- Palm Coast area, near Old Kings Road (Flagler County)
- Cimarrone Country Club area (St. Johns County)
- Western Clay County
- Gainesville (near Northwest 34th Street and Northwest Eighth Avenue)
- East of downtown Tallahassee along Route 27
- Downtown Apalachicola (Gulf County)
- Downtown Live Oak (Suwannee County)
- Downtown Panama City
"We're committed to the state of Florida," said Marshall Criser III, president of AT&T Florida. "The investments by AT&T will have a positive impact at both the state and community levels, in addition to the benefits that our customers will receive."
AT&T's wireless network is based on Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) technology, the most open and widely used network platform in the world. The company is already establishing a path to develop a 4G network. AT&T plans to roll out the nation's first High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) network by midyear, which will provide even faster capabilities to HSUPA-enabled laptops, allowing users to send large files and take advantage of the latest interactive Internet and business applications.
|FIND MORE INFORMATION ONLINE|
|Related Media Kits:||Related Fact Sheets:|
|Related News Releases:||Web Sites:|
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates, AT&T operating companies, are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. Among their offerings are the world's most advanced IP-based business communications services and the nation's leading wireless, high speed Internet access and voice services. In domestic markets, AT&T is known for the directory publishing and advertising sales leadership of its Yellow Pages and YELLOWPAGES.COM organizations, and the AT&T brand is licensed to innovators in such fields as communications equipment. As part of its three-screen integration strategy, AT&T is expanding its TV entertainment offerings. Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at www.att.com.
© 2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.