Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is AT&T Web Hosting changing from the Mercantec® to ShopSite® eCommerce platform?
- What do I need to do to move my account from Mercantec to ShopSite?
- When will the platform change from Mercantec to ShopSite occur?
- What should I do if I am not using my eCommerce store?
- Can AT&T help me set up my new ShopSite store?
- Are there additional resources available?
- What should I do if I have additional questions or need more help?
- Are there differences between Mercantec and ShopSite?
- Will I need to change my payment processor?
- Are the ShopSite and Mercantec templates compatible?
- What is different in the order retrieval process between Mercantec and ShopSite?
- What are some other key features included with ShopSite?
- What is SSL and how do I set it up?
- Will my email be moved over automatically?
- Are the file system locations the same on both Mercantec and ShopSite?
- I think I am ready to cut over to the new ShopSite platform. How do I test my store?
- Once I have completed my testing, how do I cut over to my new ShopSite store?
Shared Hosting — Change from Mercantec® Shopping Cart to ShopSite® Shopping Cart
This document provides information regarding the change from Mercantec Softcart to ShopSite for AT&T Web Hosting Shared Hosting eCommerce customers.
Q: Why is AT&T Web Hosting changing from the Mercantec to ShopSite eCommerce platform?
A: We have decided to make the change from Mercantec to ShopSite to better serve our customers. ShopSite is a flexible, scalable and robust eCommerce platform. It includes additional features and an intuitive interface that enables you to easily maintain your store.
A: You will need to rebuild your eCommerce store on the new ShopSite platform. Mercantec and ShopSite are not compatible. To take advantage of the new features and functionality available with ShopSite, you must reconstruct your store, website and email accounts. AT&T Web Hosting will provide you with a ShopSite account at no additional charge until July 1, 2009 so you can familiarize yourself with ShopSite and create your new ShopSite store. Your existing Mercantec account will be available until July 1, 2009. At that time, we will deactivate all Mercantec accounts. If you have not activated your ShopSite store prior to July 1, 2009, your store will not be available on the Internet.
We recommend that you set up your ShopSite store by June 15, 2009 so that you have adequate time to test it prior to the Mercantec deactivation on July 1, 2009.
When you are ready to make your new ShopSite store active, you must call support at 1-888-WEB-HOST (1-888-932-4678) option 3. Technical support is available 24 hours a day. Support will then update your store to use the domain name instead of the IP address. They will also redirect your domain name to the new ShopSite store. Propagation of your domain name across the entire Internet may take up to 72 hours.
A: If you have not activated your ShopSite store prior to July 1, 2009, your store will not be available on the Internet.
AT&T Web Hosting will provide you with a ShopSite account at no additional charge until July 1, 2009. Your existing Mercantec account will be available until July 1, 2009. At that time, we will deactivate all Mercantec accounts. We recommend that you set up your ShopSite store by June 15, 2009 so that you have adequate time to test it prior to the Mercantec deactivation on July 1, 2009.
A: If you are no longer using your eCommerce store, you can call support at 1-888-WEB-HOST (1-888-932-4678) option 2 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) and request a non-eCommerce hosting plan. You can learn more about our available plans by going to att.com/webhosting. Since you are an existing customer, you will not be able to change your plan by placing an order online - you must call the number above to make a plan change.
A: Yes, AT&T Web Hosting Professional Services can help you set up your new ShopSite store for an additional charge. Our Professional Services team offers contracts for most types of custom website setup and design. You can contact the Professional Services team by calling 1-877-288-5937 Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) in order to obtain a quote.
A: We offer a series of videos, available at no additional charge, to help you become familiar with the new ShopSite platform.
The vidoes are available in the following categories:
1. Introduction to ShopSite
2. Overview of basic options
3. Creating the look and feel of your site
4. Creating products in your store
5. Adding images to your store
6. Merchandising- tools to make your site reach more customers
9. Configure store- payment types, taxes, shipping
10. Utilities- password changes, regenerate your store, database tools
11. Preferences- customize how your store works
12. How to use the in-store help
13. Order anywhere feature
14. Wizard tutorial- how to setup your store using the store wizard
A: If you need assistance, you can contact AT&T Web Hosting technical support at 1-888-WEB-HOST (1-888-932-4678) option 3. Technical support can help you with technical issues regarding the hosting platform, supported applications and specific errors you may receive when setting up your new store.
For assistance with programming and design, you can request a quote from our Professional Services team by calling 1-877-288-5937.
If you need to change your hosting plan, you can call billing support at 1-888-WEB-HOST (1-888-932-4678) option 2.
A: Yes. Here are several key differences between the Mercantec and ShopSite platforms.
Mercantec Softcart (old platform) allows customers to purchase products over a secure connection. It contains a site creation wizard that allows content to be created and edited easily. It has a product database that is editable from within the Mercantec control panel, PGP encryption for order retrieval, and compatibility with a limited number of payment processors.
ShopSite (new eCommerce platform) improves on and adds to the Mercantec features. It not only allows customers to buy products over a secure connection, but also enables you to sell downloadable digital products such as music, documents, movies, or compressed files. ShopSite includes a site creation wizard that lets you easily create and maintain pages. It also includes a block of HTML, called an "order-anywhere link," that allows you to put an "Add to Cart" button on any pre-existing web page. You have the freedom to build a website without using templates and still incorporate ShopSite features. ShopSite supports a product database that you can create, import, export, backup, or edit from within the ShopSite manager. You can retrieve orders over a secure, authenticated session within the cart's control panel. ShopSite is compatible with a wide range of payment processors.
A: It is possible that as a result of this platform change, you may have to configure and use a new supported payment processor. Payment processors directly supported by ShopSite are listed below. If you are currently using a payment processor supported by Mercantec but not by ShopSite, you will need to select a new payment processor.
Mercantec (old eCommerce platform) Compatible Payment Processors:
- Clear Commerce - payment gateway that can connect to different processors. Payment processors that work with Clear Commerce:
- CyberCash - company was acquired by VeriSign, which in turn was acquired by PayPal. No new CyberCash accounts can be created, and PayPal is not compatible with Mercantec.
ShopSite (new eCommerce platform) Compatible Payment Processors:
- Authorize.Net - http://www.authorize.net
- PayPal Payflow Pro (formerly VeriSign) - https://www.paypal.com/
- PayPal Website Payments Pro - https://www.paypal.com/
- Paymentech Orbital Gateway - http://www.chasepaymentech.com/
- LinkPoint - http://www.linkpoint.com/
- YourPay - acquired by linkpoint https://www.yourpay.com/
- VirtualPAY - http://www.paradata.com/content/products/virtualterminals/virtualpay.shtml
- Optimal Payments - http://www.optimalpayments.com/us/
- Lynk Systems - http://rbslynk.com/
- RX-Payments - https://www.rx-payments.com/
- PSiGate - http://www.psigate.com/
- Protx - http://www.protx.com/
A: No, the ShopSite and Mercantec templates are not compatible. If you wish to continue using templates, you must select them from the wide selection of templates included with ShopSite.
A: Here are key differences in order retrieval.
Mercantec (old eCommerce platform) has two ways of processing orders. The shopping cart can be conected to a payment processor so that credit card authentication and processing is done automatically. Alternatively, the shopping cart can be set up to take orders and to save them until the customer can download an encrypted file to their local computer and get the order information from there. The encryption on the files is PGP (Pretty Good Protection). The software that decrypts the orders is not compatible with all operating systems.
ShopSite (new eCommerce system) can be connected to a payment processor so that credit card authentication and processing is done automatically. All orders are stored within the application, which is accessible with authentication over a secure connection.
A: Some key features included with ShopSite are:
- Reports - When your website is visited, the information sent from your server to the visitor is logged. ShopSite can use the information in your server's log files to create useful reports about how visitors use your website.
- Customer Registration - Your customers can create their own account on your website. Each customer account has its own user ID and password. You can then use this registration information to locate customers and group similar customers together.
- CVV2 Support - CVV stands for Card Verification Value. CVV2 is the three-digit number printed in the signature space on the back of most credit cards. CVV2 is an important security feature for credit card transactions on the Internet and over the phone.
- Shipping API Installation - ShopSite has integrated support for real-time shipping quotes from UPS, Federal Express and USPS. You can also use a compatible custom shipping add-on for use with a different shipper.
- Databases - The Database section contains tools for maintaining your database. This includes backing up, downloading, checking, unlocking, and clearing your store's databases. The store can support databases for products, affiliates, coupons, associates, and auctions.
- Product Searching - You can add a search function to the store pages that allows visitors to find the products that interest them. The search configuration page allows you to customize the product search function for your store.
- Inventory Tracking - You can track your inventory. You can also configure low-stock and out-of-stock notificiations.
- Images - You can use the Images functions to upload and manage the images and other media files used in your store.
- Digital Download - You can sell or offer downloadable digitial products such as music, documents, video clips or compressed files.
- Coupons - You can offer coupons per product or per order to keep customers returning to your website. Coupons can be placed in your website, in email messages, in banner ads, or anyplace else that links to your store.
- Associates - You can partner with other websites to place links to your website on their pages. ShopSite enables you to provide compensation to a partner website, if appropriate.
- Discounts - You can define volume discounts to reward customers who order more products.
- Gift Certificates - Customers can purchase gift certificates that can be redeemed in your store.
- Reward Program - You can reward loyal customers and encourage new ones with incentives such as "buy 3 get 1 free."
- Order Application Programming Interface (API) - ShopSite can incorporate Common Gateway Interface (CGI) programs for use during order processing. For example, the CGI program could query an inventory database to ensure that a product is in stock, or generate a key to unlock software for download.
- Tell A Friend - You can put "Tell a Friend" links on pages. When someone clicks on the link, a pop-up window appears. Your website's visitor can then add a friend's email address and send them a short message that includes the page link.
- Auctions - Sell your products on online auction services such as eBay.
- Google - Configure your ShopSite store to use Google tools, including Sitemaps, Analytics, and Shopping (Google Product Search).
- Cross-sell - Configure ShopSite to display in the Shopping Cart other related products that might interest your customers.
- buySAFE - You can assure safer online shopping by configuring your store to include buySAFE merchant certification and order bonding.
A: The Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol is a set of rules governing server authentication, client authentication, and encrypted communication between servers and clients. SSL is widely used on the Internet, especially for interactions that involve exchanging confidential information such as credit card numbers. There are two ways that you can currently utilize an SSL connection to the server. The first is to use the AT&T Web Hosting shared certificate that is included with your plan. The second is to purchase your own individual certificate.
The shared certificate has an address that is based on a certificate owned and maintained by AT&T Web Hosting. This is the shared certificate's address on the ShopSite platform: https://userid.sslcert35.com/. This address is usually inputted into HTML or shopping cart code to make the credit card submission page secure. While using the shared certificate is easier to implement than purchasing your own certificate, the drawback is that you have a secure page that looks like it is from another domain. The shared certificates are maintained and renewed by AT&T without any additional cost to you.
Private certificates are similar to shared certificates but are not implemented in the same way. This is the private certificate's address on the ShopSite platform: https://www.customerdomain.com/, where your own domain name replaces "customerdomain.com." To obtain a private SSL certificate, you need to perform the following steps:
For Shared Hosting customers on the UNIX platform:
- Log in to your UNIX Shared Hosting Control Panel.
- Under Utilities and Files, click on Digital Certificate.
- Under "Need to install a new Private Certificate?", click on Generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request).
- Complete all the fields and click on Proceed to Step 2 on the CSR request form.
- A digital certificate request will be generated.
- Copy and paste the request into a text editor and then save the file.
- Click on Complete CSR Process. You will be taken back to the Digital Certificate screen.
- Take the generated CSR and purchase a certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA) of your choice. A selection is provided to you during the CSR process.
- Once you have purchased the certificate, go to your Shared Hosting Control Panel to install the certificate.
- Under Utilities and Files, click on Digitial Certificate.
- Under "Need to install a new Private Certificate?" click on Install the Signed Cert.
- Follow the instructions shown to install the SSL certificate.
For Shared Hosting customers on the Windows platform:
- Log in to your Control Panel.
- Under Account Configuration, click on SSL CSR Request.
- Log in again if required.
- Select "New Certificate."
- Complete the form that appears and click Submit.
- Your request will be processed.
- Our Support team will send you the generated CSR.
- Take the generated CSR to a certification agency.
- Purchase a site certificate, NOT a server certificate.
- Once your certification agency responds with a server key (certificate), you can access this link below to install it: http://ip_address:81/ADTK/SslCertManager.aspx.
A: Maybe. If you DO NOT currently use your Mercantec shopping cart, we can move your email and your website to a non-eCommerce plan of your choice. To view available plans, please go to att.com/webhosting. You will then need to call AT&T Web Hosting Technical Support at 1-888-932-4678 option 3. If you do not use your Mercantec shopping cart and you choose to migrate your email, then you will not receive the free 2-month trial ShopSite account.
If you DO use your Mercantec shopping cart, we cannot move your email to the new platform. You will need to set up your email users on the new ShopSite account.
There are some differences between the two email programs. To learn how to set up users, please refer to your new account's help files in your control panel.
A: No, the file locations are different.
On the Mercantec platform, the folder you start in after connecting with FTP is also the site root. In addition:
- /cgi-bin/ - This folder has execute permissions. You can place your scripts here.
- /data/ - This folder has write permissions only. You can place a database here.
- /stats/ - This is the system folder. It has raw logs, mail spool files and webmail data.
On the ShopSite platform, the folder you start in after connecting with FTP is not the site root. Here are the available folder types:
- /www/htdocs/ - This folder is the site root.
- /www/cgi-bin/ - This folder has execute permissions. You can place your scripts here.
- /www/logs/ - This folder contains raw logs.
- /users/ - This folder has listings of all the users, their mail, their FTP roots, and webspace.
- /var/ - This is the system folder. It has system functions like mySQL and others.
A: To test your store, we recommend that you check all your links, pages, and products. Send test orders and make sure you feel confident in what you have created. You can check your store using the new account's IP address. Type into your browser the IP address you received in your ShopSite activation email.
Q: Once I have completed my testing, how do I cut over to my new ShopSite store?
A: Congratulations! When you are finished testing and ready to go live with your new ShopSite store, it is time for you to contact technical support at 1-888-932-4678 option 3. We can assist you in updating your domain so your customers can access your ShopSite store. Although we do not support ShopSite directly, if your domain is not registered with AT&T Web Hosting or you are not using our nameservers we may be able to help you identify the actions you will need to take to make your ShopSite store accessible to your customers. Propagation of your domain name across the entire Internet may take up to 72 hours.
Your existing Mercantec account will be available until July 1, 2009. At that time, we will deactivate all Mercantec accounts. If you have not activated your ShopSite store prior to July 1, 2009, your store will not be available on the Internet.
ShopSite® is a registered trademark of ShopSite, Inc.
Mercantec® and SoftCart® are registered trademarks of Mercantec, Inc.
Third-party product and service names are property of their trademark owners.