: This article applies to AT&T local home phone service
. Don't have traditional phone service? Find information on digital phone service
or wireless service
Call Waiting allows you to take a second call without losing your first call. While on the phone, you will hear a tone when another call comes in. You can choose to put the first caller on hold and answer the second call. You can also temporarily deactivate Call Waiting before making a call to eliminate disruptions during important calls. Each conversation is private and can't be heard by the other party.
Use Call Waiting
Temporarily deactivate Call Waiting before making a call
- While on a call, a special tone alerts you that another call is coming in.
- Briefly press the receiver button or flash button and release it. This puts the first call on hold and connects you to the second call.
- To return to the first call, briefly press the receiver or flash button again and release it. You will connect with the first caller. You can switch between calls as often as you like by repeating these steps.
- To end the first call and answer the second, simply hang up. Your phone will ring and the second caller will be on the line.
- Pick the phone up, and at the dial tone press *70.
- Listen for a dial tone. Dial the number you wish to call.
- When you hang up, Call Waiting is automatically reactivated.