Activities that use a lot of data
Many devices on your plan – smartphones, tablets, and even in-car Wi-Fi®
– use wireless data that can count against your monthly allowance.
can consume a lot of data:
- High definition video streaming (900MB per hour)
- Video conferencing, like FaceTime® and Skype® (480MB per hour)
- Standard-definition video streaming (240MB per hour)
- Online interactive gaming (60MB per hour)
- Streaming music (30MB per hour)
- Downloading movies and large data files
App syncing, updates, notifications, and autoplay
Many apps sync to the cloud, update themselves, and send notifications automatically. These functions, while convenient, can use data in the background.
For example, videos often play automatically as you scroll through your newsfeed on social media apps. You may want to disable cellular data for video autoplay within each app’s settings on your device.Good to know:
- Some apps may use wireless data even when your device is connected to Wi-Fi.
- You can go to Device help or check with your manufacturer to get specific instructions for your device. Search for details on how to disable auto-update, automatic sync, and manage notifications.