Showing Content for | Change your ZIP Code

Enter another ZIP to see info from a different area. X | >

!We can't find that ZIP Code. Try again.

About account balance refunds

Get information about account balance refunds and what to do to get a refund of an overpayment or surplus on your account.


Account balance refunds

Before you begin

Applying credit to your next bill
If you have a credit balance on your AT&T account due to an overpayment, it will automatically apply to your next bill unless you opt to have your overage refunded.
Show more


Canceled accounts

We automatically process refunds 45 days after your account has been canceled. If you haven't received a refund after 60 days, contact us.

Active accounts

To request a refund of a credit balance on an active account, you can:
Show more

Additional information

Methods of payment

How you receive your refund depends on the method you used when paying to your account.
  • Electronic Bank Draft or Check - A 14-day hold is required before we can issue a refund of a bank draft/check. If you would like the refund before the end of the 14 day holding period, we will need a bank statement showing the transaction has cleared (online is accepted.) Alternatively, you can send a letter on bank letterhead indicating that the payment has cleared and is not in dispute. The letter must include amount, date cleared, bank employee name and contact number.
  • Online Bill Pay - An Online Bill Pay payment is often called a home banking payment. These payments are sent to AT&T by your bank after you visited your bank's website. Some of these payments may require a 14-day hold prior to refund.
    If you would like the refund electronically (recommended) we will need to confirm your bank account and routing number. Two pieces of documentation are required:
    • Bank statement showing the payment and bank account number.
    • A voided check from the same bank account.
    If you do not wish to provide the bank account information we can issue a refund check to the account holder's name and address or leave the balance in your account to pay future bills.
  • Credit/Debit Card - Your refund will be processed back to the card you used to make the payment.
Show more

Did you get the help you needed?

Great! We're so glad we could help.

We're sorry that didn't solve your issue.

Thanks for your feedback!

Community discussion

Ask questions. Get answers. Help others. Join the conversation!