Summer is a wonderful time for families. The kids are out of school, the weather’s warm, and the time’s right for outdoor adventures, vacations, and hanging out. However, summer is also about rainy days, long car trips, and the dreaded sound of “But there’s nothing to DO!” On days when bored kids need to be amused, an entertaining TV show can be a lifesaver.
There are so many ways to watch TV nowadays, it’s easy to find kids’ shows that are right for any age. Broadcast channels, premium channels, and streaming services all have a wide variety of kids’ entertainment. Even better, the days of the summer rerun blues are over. Many new shows premier in the summer, so you have more options than ever before.
With all the talk about premium channels and streaming services, it’s easy to overlook the broadcast channels. They’re still producing some of the best TV around—especially for kids! Check out your local PBS channels for kids’ shows like Sesame Street, Wild Kratts, and Bill Nye, the Science Guy. Older kids will enjoy great PBS summer TV shows like The Jazz Ambassadors and Little Women. Kids who dream of futures filled with singing and dancing can watch new seasons of Beat Shazam (Fox), America’s Got Talent (NBC), and World of Dance (NBC).
So many channels to choose
- Watch channels created for kids like Disney, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon.
- Sneak in some summer learning with shows like SciJinks (Science Channel), BattleBots (Discovery), and The Tesla Files (History).
- Subscribe to premium channels and watch a new adaptation of a classic novel with Fahrenheit 451 (HBO). Or have a family movie night watching A Dog’s Purpose (Showtime).
When your busy summer lifestyle involves travel with kids, some of your best entertainment options come from streaming channels. Streaming gives busy families lots of ways to choose when, where, and how they want to watch. And the best news? More streaming services are starting up every month with even more specialty content!
- Versatility: When you’re away from home, you can watch your favorites on a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Plus, an unlimited data plan lets you stream almost anywhere without worrying about overage charges. That’s handy on long car trips or during flight delays. If you’re checking into a hotel, the kids can use Wi-Fi to watch what they want while you relax.
- Stream one channel or try them all: There are so many ways to stream content, you might have trouble choosing just one. Premium channels like HBO and Showtime let you stream their content so you can watch when it’s convenient for you. You’re probably familiar with the streaming services from Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. But other services like YouTube Red, Acorn TV, and CBS All Access have joined the party, too.
- Award-winning entertainment: So many streaming options equal so many quality shows. Kick up some ‘80s nostalgia with Cobra Kai on You Tube Red. Go ape with the second season of the animated series Kong: King of Apes on Netflix. You can even download the whole season of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle from Amazon—for those times when the kids need a short distraction.
Whether you’re making travel easier or enjoying a backyard movie night, summer TV can make for some cool kids’ entertainment on a hot summer day. And after the kids are asleep? Well, there’s always that new streaming series or blockbuster movie to help parents wind down after a long day. With the right devices and data plans, you’ll have what you need to help make a fabulous summer.
This article was written by an AT&T employee. The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of AT&T.