In this tutorial, you will learn how to:
• Access messaging
• Compose a message
• Use Digital Touch
• Share music or GIFs
• Save an attachment
• Reply or react to a message
• Forward a message
• Delete a message or thread
• Pin a message thread
• Edit a message
• Unsend a message
• Mark message as unread
• Schedule sending a message
• Turn iMessage on and off
• Use iMessage with Dual SIM
SMS/MMS lets you send text messages and photos to other cell phones or devices. iMessage lets you send text messages, photos, and videos to other iOS devices or Macs over Wi-Fi. iMessages are billed as data usage when sent over a cellular data connection. Messages will be billed as text messages when sent to other device types, or to iOS devices using an earlier version of iOS. You need a valid phone number or Apple ID to use iMessage on iPhone. With iMessage you can also see when someone is replying to you with the Bubble icon.
Note: You can tell which type of message you're sending by the color of the Send icon and text bubble. SMS/MMS: Send icon and text bubbles are green. iMessage: Send icon and text bubbles are blue.
From the home screen, select the Messages app.
Compose a message
1. Select the Compose icon.
2. Enter a phone number or email address, or select the Add icon to choose a contact.
Note: To send messages to a group, enter multiple recipients. Type a name to direct a message to someone specifically within a group message. When you are mentioned, your name will be highlighted. Customize an active group so you only receive notifications when you are mentioned. You can reply directly to a specific message within a group conversation. You can view replies in the full conversation or as their own thread for a more focused view. Learn more from the Apple support article Send a group message with your iPhone.
3. Type your message in the iMessage field. Select the Add icon then select the desired option to attach a photo or video, Audio message, Sicker or Location. Select More, then select the desired option to explore Memojis or apps to add to your message.
Note: When sharing your location, you can also share the battery life of your iPhone, give your friends your ETA to wherever you are headed. If you don't make it on time, the location of your last iPhone unlock can be shared with family members and it can automatically call emergency services for you. You can also request someone to share their Check-in location with you in the messages app.
4. Select the Send icon.
5. An exclamation mark appears if your recipient didn't get the message. Select the Exclamation mark, then select Try Again to send the message again.
Use Digital Touch
Select the Add icon > More > Digital touch icon to draw messages or pictures.
Share music or GIFs
Select the Add icon > More > Music to share songs. Select #images to share GIFs or other recently used images.
Save an attachment
Select the Save icon next to the desired attachment.
Note: Alternately, select and hold the desired attachment, then select Save. Attachments are saved according to their file type. To view saved photos and videos, from the home screen, select the Photos app.
Reply or react to a message
To reply to a message, from the desired message thread, compose your message. Select the Send icon when you are finished.
Note: With iOS 17, you can swipe right on any message to send a reply to an individual message. From the desired message thread, select the catch-up arrow to jump to the first message you haven't read in a conversation.
To react to a message, select and hold the desired message then select the desired reaction.
Forward a message
1. Select and hold the desired message, then select More.
2. Select the desired message(s), then select the Forward icon. Enter the desired contact or phone number, then select the Send icon.
Delete a message or thread
To delete a message, select and hold the desired message then select More. Select the desired message(s), then select the Delete icon. Select Delete Message to confirm.
To delete an entire message thread, from the Messages screen, select and drag the desired message thread to the left. Select the Delete icon, then select Delete to confirm.
Note: Alternately, select and hold the desired message thread then select Delete. After you delete a conversation, you can recover it only by restoring from a backup. Learn more from the Apple support article Send messages with your iPhone. If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, click here.
Pin a message thread
To pin a message thread, from the Messages screen select and hold the desired message thread then select Pin.
Note: To unpin a message thread, select and hold the desired pinned message thread then select Unpin.
Edit a message
1. Select and hold the desired message, then select Edit.
Note: Messages can only be edited within 15 minutes of initially being sent.
2. Edit the message as desired, then select the Checkmark icon.
Note: The recipient will be notified that the message has been edited.
Unsend a message
Select and hold the desired message then select Undo Send. The message will be unsent.
Note: Undo Send is available for 10 seconds after sending a message. If the recipient has not updated to iOS16, they may still see the message.
Mark message as unread
From the Messages inbox, swipe right on the desired message thread then select the Unread icon.
Note: Alternately, swipe right on the desired message thread to the right edge of the screen and release.
Schedule sending a message
1. From the home screen, navigate to and select Shortcuts.
2. Select the Automation tab, then select New Automation. Select Time of Day.
3. Select the time, then edit the time as desired. Select the desired frequency, then select Next.
4. Select Send Message.
5. Select the Message field, then enter the desired message.
6. Select the Recipients field, then enter the desired recipient(s). Select Done.
7. Select Done. The message will be sent at the scheduled time.
Turn iMessage on or off
1. From the home screen, select the Settings app.
2. Scroll to and select Messages, then select the iMessage switch to turn it on or off.
Note: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage, click here.
Use iMessage with Dual SIM
When composing a new message with Dual SIM enabled, you will have the option to switch between sims before sending a new message. From the new message screen, enter the desired contact. Select current line, then select the desired line.