If you select Let Me Choose
(Windows) or Custom Scan
(Mac) to run a virus scan, you can choose from these options:
- Location: View a list of files, folders, and drives at a particular location. Select the items to scan or deselect the ones to ignore.
- All Threats in All Files: Scan all file types. Uncheck All Threats in All Files to shorten the scanning time by checking program files and documents only.
- Unknown Viruses: Scan for new viruses with advanced techniques that match files to the signatures of known viruses. This is the most thorough scan but will take longer than a normal scan.
- Archive Files: Scan .zip and other compressed files. Virus authors can plant viruses in a .zip file, which is inserted into another .zip file to bypass anti-virus scanners. This scan can detect these hidden viruses.
- Spyware and Potential Threats: Detect spyware, adware, dialers, and other potentially unwanted applications. For the most protection, this feature is always on unless you turn it off.
- Stealth Programs: Rootkits are programs that change your Microsoft Windows system files. They can include spyware and other stealth programs that might attack your computer data and personal info.