These kinds of requests aren’t legitimate when they come from someone you don’t know. Tips to defend against scams on social media
If the fraudster claims the purchase is for charity
- Ignore unsolicited messages and calls.
- Avoid sharing personal info or account details online with people you don’t know.
- Be wary of anyone asking you to buy items or ship them to an unknown address.
- Donate money or send items directly to the charities you want to support.
- Call or email the organization to make sure the request is legitimate. Be sure to get the contact info from a trusted source like the charity’s official website.
- Report scams to any organization the fraudster claims to be associated with so they can warn others.