Change a wireless account due to a life event

Learn about wireless account options for marriage, divorce, separation, medical leave, imprisonment, or death.

Account changes

Change the name on your account

To change the name on your account due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons, call us at 800.331.0500.

Or, learn how to update your wireless Caller ID display name.

Update an address or contact number

If you move, you may need to update your place of primary use or your billing address for wireless service. Learn how to:

Transfer billing responsibility

You can:

  • Transfer the billing responsibility for an existing line on your AT&T account to someone else.
  • Request that someone transfer the billing responsibility for a line on their account to you.

Learn how to start a transfer of billing responsibility.

Suspend service for one or more lines

When you suspend service for a line on your account, your wireless service is placed in an inactive status. You’re still responsible for any monthly wireless plan fees, add-ons, and installment plans. Learn how to suspend service

You can also  suspend your wireless account due to military service. Learn how to hold or cancel service for a U.S. Military or Service Member.

Add a new line of service to your account

Learn how to buy a new phone and add a new line to your wireless account. You can also bring your own phone to AT&T. With both options, you may be able to transfer an eligible number to us.

Cancel service or remove a line

Find out how to cancel service or remove a line from your account.

Leave a shared account

Victims of domestic violence in New York can leave a shared wireless account without incurring fees or penalties. The shared account must have a New York billing address and the user leaving the account must be a resident of New York.

To leave a shared account:

  1. Visit any AT&T retail store in NY State and ask to speak with a store manager.
  2. Let them know if you’re an account holder, authorized user on the account, or a user of a number on the account.
  3. Provide a state-issued ID.
  4. Complete the self-attestation form (PDF, 90KB). You can print and fill it out before you arrive or ask for a copy at the store. If you have official documents (such as a court order) showing you’re a victim of domestic violence, bringing them with you may speed up the process.

Good to know: If you open a new AT&T wireless account, credit check policies may apply. Outstanding installment payments and other balances from previous shared account may not be waived.

Manage due to death

Losing a loved one isn't easy. We want to help you make changes to their account as soon as possible so you can focus on other matters. If someone close to you has passed away, and you have the required info as listed below, you have a few options.

Here’s what to know about managing a deceased loved one’s line or account:

  • We don't charge early termination fees (or other cancellation fees) for the deceased person’s line of service.
  • If the deceased had lines with devices on an installment plan, the devices must be returned to AT&T. When they are, we can waive remaining unbilled installment plan charges associated with the canceled line.
  • If the deceased was a wireless authorized user on your account and had a device with an installment plan, the device must be returned to AT&T in whatever condition it’s in. When we receive it, we can waive the remaining unbilled installment plan charges.
  • If you want to keep any devices with an installment plan, you must pay off the installment plan and then you can cancel the line.
  • You can transfer the deceased person’s line to another AT&T account, but you must pay any past due balance before the line can be moved. If there’s an installment plan associated with the line, it will stay active and transfer along with the line.
  • Any outstanding account balance on the deceased’s canceled account may be the responsibility of the estate.

How to make changes to a deceased person’s account
If you know the wireless account passcode, you have a few options. You can:

If you don’t know the wireless account passcode, call us at 800.331.0500. We may still be able to help. You may need to visit an AT&T retail store and provide more info to verify the account. Then, we can help transfer billing responsibility or cancel the account. You may need the following info:

  • The account number and mobile number
  • The name of the account holder, their relationship to you, and your contact email address
  • The last four digits of the account holder’s Social Security Number
  • One of these documents: Accident report relevant to the account holder, death certificate for the account holder, or an obituary for the account holder
Last updated: March 20, 2024

Did you get the help you needed?

Community forums

Have questions about your Bill & account service? Explore our community forums for answers.