Showing Content for | Change your ZIP Code

Enter another ZIP to see info from a different area. X | `>`

!We can't find that ZIP Code. Try again.

Change a wireless account due to a life event

Learn about wireless account options for marriage, divorce, separation, medical leave, imprisonment, or death.


Change the name on your account

To change the name on your account due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons, call us at 800.331.0500.

Or, learn how to update your wireless Caller ID display name.

Update an address or contact number

If you move, you may need to update your place of primary use or your billing address for wireless service. Learn how to:

Transfer billing responsibility

You can transfer billing responsibility for an existing line of service on your AT&T wireless account to someone else, or you can request that someone transfer billing responsibility of a line on their AT&T wireless account to you. Learn how to request a transfer of billing responsibility.

Suspend service for one or more lines

When you suspend service for a line or lines on your account, your wireless service is placed in an inactive status. You’re still responsible for any monthly rate plan fees, add-ons, and installment plans. Learn how to suspend service

If you’re interested in suspending your wireless account due to military service, learn how to hold or cancel service for a U.S. Military or Service Member.

Add a new line of service for current AT&T wireless customers

Learn how to buy a new phone and add a new line to your wireless account. You can also bring your own phone to AT&T. With both options, you may be able to transfer an eligible number to us.

Cancel service or remove a line

Find out how to cancel service or remove a line from your account.

Manage account for a deceased loved one

Losing a loved one is never easy. We want to help you make changes to their account as quickly as possible, so you can attend to other matters. If someone close to you has passed away, and you have the required info, you have options to close their account, keep the same mobile number under a different AT&T account, or transfer the number to another provider.

Here’s what to know about managing a deceased loved one’s line or account:
  • We won’t charge early termination fees or other cancellation fees on the deceased person’s line of service.
    • If the account owner passed away, we may adjust all installment agreement charges for all wireless lines on the account.
    • If the person who passed away was a wireless user on your account, we may adjust installment agreement charges for the associated wireless line.
  • You can transfer the deceased person’s line to another AT&T account, but you must pay any past due balance before the line can be moved.
  • Any outstanding account balance on the deceased’s canceled account may be the responsibility of the estate.

How to make changes to a deceased person’s account
If you know the wireless account passcode, you can either request to transfer billing responsibility for wireless numbers on the account to another AT&T account, cancel the account, or learn about transferring the wireless numbers to another provider.
  • If you want to keep the wireless lines active with AT&T, in most cases, you’ll need to transfer billing responsibility to another AT&T account. The account can't remain active under the deceased’s name and Social Security Number (except if the deceased’s account billing address was in Oklahoma). Learn how to request a transfer of billing responsibility.
  • If you want to cancel the deceased person’s account and know the wireless account passcode, call us at 800.331.0500.
  • If you don’t know the wireless account passcode, we may still be able to help. You can call us at 800.331.0500, and you may need to visit an AT&T retail store and provide some more info to verify the account before we can either transfer billing responsibility or cancel the account. You may need the following info:
    • The account number and/or mobile number
    • The name of the account holder, their relationship to you, and your contact email address
    • The last four digits of the account holder’s Social Security Number
    • One of these documents: Accident report relevant to the account holder, death certificate for the account holder, or an obituary for the account holder

Did you get the help you needed?

Great! We're so glad we could help.


We're sorry that didn't solve your issue.


Thanks for your feedback!

Community forums

Have questions about your Wireless service? Explore our community forums for answers.