In this tutorial, you will learn how to:
• Activate FaceTime
• Make a FaceTime call using the Phone app
• Make a FaceTime call using the FaceTime app
• Respond to an incoming FaceTime call
• Record a Video message
• Make a FaceTime call using Dual SIM
• FaceTime options
• Use Picture-in-picture
From the home screen, select the Settings app > scroll to and select FaceTime > select the FaceTime switch.
Note: FaceTime requires an applicable data plan and your call recipient must also have a FaceTime-activated iOS device. If you need additional help, view the Apple support article If you get an error when trying to activate FaceTime.
Make a FaceTime call using the Phone app
1. From the home screen, select the Phone app.
2. Select the Contacts tab, then select the desired contact. To make a FaceTime video or audio call, select the video or phone icon next to FaceTime.
Make a FaceTime call using the FaceTime app
1. From the home screen, select the FaceTime app.
2. Select the desired contact from the call history or select New FaceTime to create a new call and follow the prompts. To send a FaceTime link to an Android or Windows user, select Create Link and follow the prompts.
Respond to an incoming FaceTime call
Select the desired option:
• ACCEPT CALL
: Select the Accept icon
. Edit call settings
as desired, then select Join
• DECLINE CALL
: Select the Decline icon
.Note: To decline a call with a message, select the call window > Message > select the desired message or select Custom... to send a custom message. If your iPhone is locked, select and drag the Phone icon to the right to answer a call. To decline a call from the lock screen, press the Side button twice. If you need additional help, view the Apple support article If you can't make or receive FaceTime calls.
Record a Video message
With iOS17 you can leave a video message if someone misses your FaceTime call. After an unsuccessful call attempt, select Record Video and follow the prompts to record your message.
Note: To exit without leaving a video message, select Close. To view video messages sent to you, from the FaceTime app, select Video under the missed call in the call log then select the Play icon.
Make a FaceTime call using Dual SIM
When Dual SIM is enabled, FaceTime calls will be made from the default line. To change this, from the FaceTime app, select the Info icon
next to the desired caller
. Select default
, then select the desired line
. Select Done
To access FaceTime options, from the active call, select the Info icon
next to the desired caller
. Select the desired option
• LIVE CAPTIONS: Live Captions allows the audio on the FaceTime call to be transcribed. Select the Live Captions switch to turn on or off.
• ADD PEOPLE: To add people to the FaceTime, select Add People, then follow the prompts.
• SILENCE JOIN REQUESTS: To silence join requests during an active FaceTime call, select the Silence Join Requests switch.
Note: FaceTime now supports up to 32 people at one time.
Select the screen, then select the desired option:
: Select the Mute icon
: SharePlay allows you to share videos, music, and stream your phone screen in real-time while on an active FaceTime call. Select the SharePlay icon
then follow the prompts.
• TAKE A PICTURE
: To take a picture of your FaceTime call select the Capture icon
Select the call window, then select the desired option:
• SWITCH BETWEEN FRONT & REAR CAMERAS
: Select Flip camera icon
• ADD FILTERS, STICKERS AND TEXT
: Select the Effects icon
then select the desired category
and follow the prompts.
Picture in Picture allows you to continue viewing your call while multitasking. While in a FaceTime call, swipe up from the bottom of the screen. Your call will appear as a Picture-in-picture window in the corner of the screen.
Note: You can select and drag the window as desired. To return to full screen, select the Picture-in-picture window. To access additional Facetime options while using Picture-in-picture, select the Dynamic Island then select the desired icon.