In this tutorial, you will learn how to:
• Turn AirDrop on or off
• Share content using AirDrop
• Receive a file through AirDrop
• Share contacts through NameDrop
Turn AirDrop on or off
1. Swipe down from the upper right corner of the screen to access the Control Center, then select and hold the center of the Connectivity section. Select AirDrop.
2. Choose the desired option:
• RECEIVING OFF: Select Receiving Off to turn off AirDrop receiving.
• CONTACTS ONLY: Select Contacts Only so only your contacts can see your device.
• EVERYONE: Select Everyone for 10 Minutes to be discoverable by all nearby iOS devices using AirDrop.
Share content using AirDrop
1. From the desired content to share, select the Share icon.
Note: Depending on the app, you might be able to select other items you want to share.
2. Select AirDrop. Select the Name of a nearby AirDrop user or the iOS device, then select Done.
Note: Alternately, to share content via AirDrop with iOS17, from the desired content to share, select the Share icon > AirDrop > hold the top of the iPhone you are sharing content from near the top of the iPhone you would like to share the content with to initiate the transfer over AirDrop. If you're sharing with Contacts Only and can't find a nearby user, check that both of you are signed in to an iCloud account. If you still can't find a nearby user, consider setting AirDrop to Everyone. You might also need to turn off Personal Hotspot on one or both devices. The content will open in the application from which it was sent (for example, photos will appear in the Photos app, websites will open in Safari). Learn more from the Apple support article Share content with AirDrop from your iPhone.
Receive a file through AirDrop
When receiving a file through AirDrop, you will be prompted to Decline or Accept the incoming file. Select the desired option.
Note: The content will open in the application from which it was sent (for example, photos will appear in the Photos app, websites will open in Safari). Learn more from the Apple support article Share content with AirDrop from your iPhone.
Share contacts through NameDrop
Hold your iPhone near someone else’s iPhone or Apple Watch4 to use NameDrop. You’ll both be able to choose the specific phone numbers or email addresses you want to share, and you can share them along with your Contact Poster instantly. When sharing a contact through NameDrop, you will be prompted to select Receive Only or Share. Select the desired option. Edit the shared contact information as desired, then select Done.
Note: You have to have your My Card set up to share contact information via NameDrop. Shared contacts will be added to the Contacts app.