Free apps typically get revenue through ads, pop-ups, or notifications. Learn how to manage these on your device.
You may see spam ads indicating your device is unsafe or impacted by viruses or harmful software (malware). Learn how to manage these pop-ups and ads below.
If your phone has been acting strangely, you may have downloaded a dangerous app. If this is the case, visit the Viruses & Malware tutorial.
1. From the home screen, select Settings > Safari.
2. Scroll to the General section and ensure the Block Pop-ups switch is enabled.
You can also try clearing your browsing data. From the home screen, select Settings > Safari and scroll to and select Clear History and Website Data. Select Clear History and Data to confirm.
1. Select the three dots at the bottom of the screen to open the browser menu.
2. Select Settings > Content Settings and ensure Block Pop-ups is on.
You can also try clearing your browsing data by selecting Settings > Privacy > Clear browsing data and select Clear Browsing Data.
1. Select the three lines at the bottom of the screen to open the browser menu.
2. Select Settings, scroll to the General section and ensure the Block Pop-up Windows switch is turned on.
You can also try clearing your browsing data by selecting Settings > Data Management > Website Data and select Clear All Website Data.
You will need to force close the app. From the bottom on the home screen, swipe up and hold your finger on the screen to view recent apps. Swipe the desired app upward to close the app.
For more information, view the Apple support article How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Visit the Notifications tutorial to learn how to manage the notifications you receive from apps.
If you turn off notifications and they still appear on your device, you may need to uninstall the app. Learn how in the App Troubleshooting tutorial, which also addresses how to remove an app.
1. Ensure your browser is blocking pop-ups and ads.
2. Don't click on suspicious or spammy ads or notifications.
3. For apps:
4. Install AT&T Mobile Security—a free app from AT&T that can help keep your phone secure from many types of malware. View AT&T Mobile Security’s website for details.
See what our other tips our community provided about removing spam ads and notifications.
Great! We're so glad we could help.
We're sorry that didn't solve your issue.