Create and respond to text (SMS), picture (MMS), or iMessages, add, save, and view received attachments and more.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to:
• Access messaging
• Compose a message
• Use Digital Touch
• Share music or GIFs
• Save an attachment
• Reply or react to a message
• Forward a message
• Delete a message or thread
• Turn iMessage on and off
• Pin or unpin a conversation
• Add an image to a group message
SMS/MMS lets you send text messages and photos to other cell phones or devices. iMessage lets you send text messages, photos, and videos to other iOS devices or Macs over Wi-Fi. With iMessage you can also see when someone is replying to you with the "..." bubble icon. To send and receive text messages on your iPad, you must set up NumberSync.
Note: You can tell which type of message you're sending by the color of the Send icon and text bubble. SMS/MMS: Send icon and text bubbles are green. iMessage: Send icon and text bubbles are blue.
From the home screen, select the Messages app.
1. Select the Compose icon.
2. Enter a phone number or email address, or select the Add icon to choose a contact.
Note: To send messages to a group, enter multiple recipients. Learn more from the Apple support article Send a group message with your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
3. Type your message in the message field, or select the Camera icon to attach a photo or video, select the Microphone key to send an audio message. Select the App store icon to explore stickers, games, and apps to decorate your message. When ready, select the Send icon.
4. An exclamation mark appears if your recipient didn't get the message. Select the Exclamation mark, then select Try Again to send the message again.
Select the Digital touch icon to draw messages or pictures.
Select the Share Music icon to share songs. Select the Search icon to share GIFs or other recently used images.
Select and hold the desired attachment, then select Save.
Note: Attachments are saved according to their file type. To view saved photos and videos, from the home screen select the Photos app.
To reply to a message, from the desired message thread, compose your message. Select the Send icon when you are finished.
To react to a message, select and hold the desired message then select the desired reaction.
1. Select and hold the desired message, then select More....
2. Select the desired message(s), then select the Forward icon.
3. Enter the desired contact or phone number, then select the Send icon.
1. To delete a message, select and hold the desired message then select More....
2. Select the desired message(s), then select the Delete icon. Select Delete Message(s).
3. To delete an entire message thread, from the Messages screen select and drag the desired message thread to the left. Select the Delete icon.
Note: After you delete a conversation, you can recover it only by restoring from a backup. Learn more from the Apple support article Send messages with your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. If you can't send or receive messages on your iPad, click here.
1. From the home screen, select the Settings app.
Note: iMessages are billed as data usage when sent over a cellular data connection. Messages will be billed as text messages when sent to other device types, or to iOS devices using an earlier version of iOS. You need a valid phone number or Apple ID to use iMessage on iPad.
2. Scroll to and select Messages, then select the iMessage switch to turn it on or off.
Note: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage, click here.
PIN A CONVERSATION: You can pin up to 9 conversations at the top of your conversation list for easy access.
1. To pin a conversation, select and hold the desired message thread.
2. Select Pin.
UNPIN A CONVERSATION
1. Select and hold the desired contact icon.
2. Select Unpin.
You can give your group conversation a visual identity by adding a photo or Memoji, or choose an emoji.
1. From the group message thread, select the Contacts at the top of the screen then select the Info icon.
2. Select Change Name and Photo.
3. Enter the desired name. Select the Camera icon to take a photo. Select the Gallery icon to choose a photo from the gallery. Select the Emoji icon to add an emoji. Select the Text icon to create a text icon.
4. Scroll to and select a preloaded emoji or Memoji, or select the Add icon to add a custom emoji or Memoji.
Great! We're so glad we could help.
We're sorry that didn't solve your issue.