Your phone needs a wireless connection to receive calls, access voicemail, download Visual Voicemail messages, and get voicemail notification alerts. To check that your signal is strong enough for this:
- Turn your phone off for 10 seconds and then back on.
- Place a test call to 611.
- Do one of the following:
- If the test call is successful, press and hold 1 to dial into the voicemail system.
- If your test call fails, confirm you have wireless coverage.
- If Visual Voicemail won't download, press and hold 1 to check your messages.
- If you aren't getting voicemail notification alerts and you aren't traveling outside the AT&T wireless coverage area, see how to turn voicemail notification alerts on and off.
Fix ‘Voicemail service is unavailable’ message’
Get a message that voicemail isn’t available? Just wait a bit and then try calling your voicemail again.