If you bought a device from AT&T, it may have been programmed with a lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. AT&T will provide the necessary Unlock Code upon request, provided AT&T has the Unlock Code, or can reasonably obtain it from the manufacturer, and you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.
Please note: Not all tablets are delivered to you locked. Some tablets are shipped unlocked. Review your device information package to determine if you need to request an Unlock Code to utilize the device on another network.
General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices
AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:
- The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
- a current AT&T customer
- a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
- The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
- The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
- The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.
Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:
- Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
- Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.
- Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee
Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.
Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks
- Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device by calling 800-331-0500.
- Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year.
- Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account.
- In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.
AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests
To request an AT&T Mobile Device unlock just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there.
Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.
Agree to the above requirements by checking the box below and then click the Agree button.
AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.