Before you can transfer upgrade eligibility to someone on your account, you have to do one of the following:
Find out if your plan is trade-in and upgrade eligible – and learn how to upgrade early
- Pay off the balance.
- Trade it in, if you have an eligible plan.
When you transfer your upgrade eligibility, you:
- Must trade it in from the transferring line within 14 days. Learn more about trade-in and upgrade requirements.
- Can replace your phone by buying a device outright or bringing your own device.
For example, a mother is eligible for an upgrade and an installment balance, but her son needs a new phone. Plus, he has 3 months remaining on his installment plan.
- The mother gives the son her upgrade eligibility and acquires the remaining 3 months of his installment plan. She trades up her current smartphone and brings an older smartphone that she already owns.
- The son gets a new smartphone on an installment plan. The new installment plan is attached to his line.