Do Not Call Policy
The Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA") was passed in 1991. The Federal Communications Commission's rules and regulations implementing the act went into effect on December 20, 1992. The Federal Trade Commission concurrently implements the Act through the Telemarketing Sales Rule, issued January 29, 2003. Various states have also enacted statutes that govern telemarketing activities. It is DIRECTV's policy to comply with these rules, and in particular, to respect and honor the requests of consumers to be placed on DIRECTV's internal Do Not Call list, so that such consumers will not receive sales calls from DIRECTV unless and until they provide consent to receive sales calls. Please note that placement on DIRECTV's internal Do Not Call list does not restrict DIRECTV's ability to place informational and/or collections calls to its customers.
DIRECTV retains third-party vendors to telemarket its goods and services, at its request and under its direction, in accordance with federal and state rules governing telemarketing. DIRECTV and its vendors will not place sales calls to any number an individual requests be placed on DIRECTV's Internal Do Not Call List (within a reasonable time to process a new request). A request from a DIRECTV subscriber to not receive sales calls is reflected in the customer's account records. A request from a non-subscriber is captured and recorded in business records. All phone numbers requested to not be called for sales purposes are added to DIRECTV's internal Do Not Call list. In compiling a list of numbers to call for a particular telemarketing campaign, DIRECTV and its vendors will exclude any numbers contained within DIRECTV's internal Do Not Call list.
DIRECTV requires that all third-party vendors telemarketing at its request and under its direction ensure they are in compliance with federal and state laws regarding telemarketing and that they fully understand and agree to follow procedures for maintaining "Do Not Call" data. DIRECTV requires its vendors to report to DIRECTV all consumer requests to be removed from telemarketing lists so that each request can be added to DIRECTV's internal Do Not Call list. DIRECTV does not condone telemarketing activities conducted in violation of the TCPA, federal rules and regulations, and state laws regarding telemarketing.
DIRECTV requires all third-party vendors that make marketing and sales calls at DIRECTV's request and under its direction to:
- Use only the call lists provided by DIRECTV which exclude numbers on DIRECTV's internal Do Not Call list;
- Institute procedures for maintaining a list of people who do not wish to receive telephone solicitations from the vendor (vendor's internal "Do-Not-Call list");
- Scrub against vendor's internal Do-Not-Call list before initiating any telephone solicitations;
- When applicable, scrub against required state and federal "Do Not Call" registries;
- Institute and maintain a procedure to transmit all Do-Not-Call requests captured on DIRECTV solicitation campaigns to DIRECTV;
- Develop its own written "Do Not Call" policy and make either or both its written policy and DIRECTV's written policy available to anyone on demand;
- Train and inform personnel engaged in any aspect of telephone solicitation in the existence and use of the Do-Not-Call list and both the DIRECTV and vendor's "Do Not Call" policies.