On October 9, 2019, AT&T announced its plans to sell its wireless and wireline operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to Liberty. As a result of this transaction, AT&T wireless service in Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands will become part of Liberty. This means that your wireless service and other agreements will be with Liberty and not with AT&T Mobility LLC or any of its affiliates as of the Close, expected October 31, 2020.
Changes that will go into effect at Close include:
- The AT&T subsidiary that holds your Prepaid agreement(s) will be acquired by Liberty.
- Questions regarding service, including rate plans, terms, policies, Prepaid agreements and fees, will be handled by the local, now AT&T branded stores, which will eventually be rebranded Liberty stores, or by calling (800) 331-0500. Accounts will no longer be serviced in AT&T stores outside of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Additionally, for Mobile Protection for AT&T PREPAID device protection plans the following changes will be effective on November 1, 2020:
- The defined term “Service Provider” as contained in the Insurance Coverage Certificate, Section IX - Definitions is amended by deleting “AT&T” and replacing it with Liberty.
- The AT&T Protech Support Terms of Service agreement is amended to reflect that the agreement is now between (1) Asurion Protection Services, LLC, acting on behalf of its licensed affiliates and doing business as Asurion and (2) the person or entity that is the customer of record for Liberty wireless service and purchases or uses the Asurion ProTech for Prepaid support service as defined in the terms. Please visit att.com/prepaidprotection to review the new Asurion Protech for Prepaid Terms of Service. For those enrolled in a device protection plan, you will continue to enjoy coverage for loss, theft, damage, and out-of-warranty malfunctions. Coverage is optional and you may cancel at any time. Payment of the monthly charge for your first billing cycle on or after November 1, 2020 will serve as confirmation that you accept the changes and wish to continue your enrollment. If you have questions or to cancel your coverage, please call Asurion Customer Care at (866) 727-1998.
To ensure a smooth transition, we’ll provide transition support functions to Liberty. In connection with the transition of your services from AT&T to Liberty you may continue to receive messages that reference AT&T. Please note these messages are legitimate, sent by AT&T on behalf of Liberty and will relate to the services that Liberty will be providing.
We are confident that Liberty will continue providing high-quality communications services to the people of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and that it is equally committed to supporting these communities.